chapter twelve

Intertwined

Spencer's POV: 

We all sat around the table in the conference room trying to get to the bottom of the case. I reviewed all recent divorce files in the area as Morgan and Grace put together the case board. 

"Have you come up with anything Spence?" Grace turned to me, both of us growing frustrated with this case. 

"The only thing that has stuck out is the chief of police her, she got a divorce a week before the first murder took place. She was married to a Keith Kays for about a year." I grabbed their file. 

"Let me call Garcia and run a background check on him. Maybe we need to bring the chief in for questioning." Grace suggested, walking out of the room. 

Morgan was still working on the board, pinning up pictures and notes next to one another as I continued to sort through the five boxes of files next to me.

"So, what's the deal with you and Grace?" Morgan turned to me, reaching for the tape dispenser. 

"Wha-what do you mean?" 

"Come on pretty boy, you've got to make a move soon." 

"Derek, I have a girlfriend." I defended myself. 

"Whatever you say." he trailed off as Grace walked back into the room, picking up the file that she called Garcia about. 

---

Grace's POV:

This was it. It clicked. 

When Keith was broken up with by Cheif Jackie Kays, well now Jackie Bagsdall, he went insane. They had been together since high school, and seeing those couples at loves lane reminded them so much of Jackie. 

This drove Keith to kill them, and feel a sense of jealousy and guilt. 

He was jealous that he didn't have what those couples had. A strong, healthy relationship, something Spencer needed. 

But Keith felt guilty that he wasn't good enough for Jackie all that time. That was why he stabbed the men so much. Because he was punishing himself by doing so. 

"I've got it." I announced, still leaning over the table and staring at the file. 

Spencer looked up, glancing at me a few times to elaborate on what exactly I got. 

I stormed out of the room, heading straight to find Hotch and call Garcia. Hotch was down the hall with the girls, 

"Hotch, I have it. I have the unsub. I think we're better off to go straight to him than waste our time delivering the profile." I swung the door open.

"Grace, are you insane? What if you're wrong? Do you even have a profile constructed?" Hotch stood up. 

"I don't but I know Keith Kays' stressor and that he's devolving. If we don't get to him soon enough," I glanced down at my ticking watch. "He's going to strike again tonight by nine at the latest." 

"Grace, you need more evidence to back it." 

"Aaron, if you would actually believe me for once and not doubt me because I'm the youngest, that would be nice. Listen, if another couple dies tonight, their blood is on your hands." I spun around, storming out of the room and outside of the station to call Garcia. 

"Pumpkin Pie! I missed you!" she answered. 

"Hey PG, I'm gonna need a location on Keith Kays. Do you have an address, or even better a cell location at the moment?" I asked.