chapter twenty five

Forever.

Roslyn by Bon Iver & St. Vincent

background: after the last case, the entire team was instructed to take a two week break, time to spend with family and friends.

Spencer's POV:

"Grace?" the line picked up.

"Spence, it is five in the morning on my day off, what do you want?" she groaned.

I smiled at the sound of her voice. "Sorry, I couldn't sleep."

"What, do you need me to come over and plug in a nightlight for you or something?" she snapped back.

"I mean, if you want to. Or I can come to you so you don't have to get up." I suggested.

Grace gave in. "Only if you make me breakfast later."

I took the deal, grabbing my keys and driving up the street to Grace's apartment. The weather was a bit cold that morning, calling for a coat, so I grabbed one for me and one of my hoodies for Grace.

Once I made it over to her place, I parked next to her car before heading up the stairs to her apartment and letting myself in.

I knocked softly on her bedroom door.

"Don't wake me up again asshat." she yelled, giving me the permission I needed to go in.

It was about half past five by then and Grace was still snuggled up in bed.

"Good morning to you too." I walked over to the other side of her bed, kicking off my shoes and crawling up next to her.

Grace turned her back to me. "Gosh, not even a kiss." she scoffed.

I reached for her shoulder, rolling her over to face me. "Is that what you want?"

She rolled her eyes before her warm lips met mine momentarily, before she moved closer to me, crawling into my arms.

For the rest of the morning, I finally fell asleep with Grace in my arms, which cured my sleeplessness for that day. Best part was, we weren't even called into work.

**

"Spence stop!" Grace begged before half a cup of flour across the kitchen to me.

The flour went flying, covering my entire body.

"Oh you are so going to pay for this!" I threatened, running to her as she attempted to escape. Luckily, I caught up to her, pulling her into my arms and covering her too in flour.

"You suck." she told me, spinning around to face me as my arms held her close.

I brushed flour across her nose. "And you're cute."

Grace blushed, her head nuzzling in the crook of my neck as I picked her up, her body clinging to mine.

"So do you still want pancakes?" I asked, sitting her down on the counter.

She shook her head back and forth aggressively, flour flying off her face. "I say we go get lunch instead."

I rolled my eyes, looking around at the mess we had already made. "You suck." I used her own words back at her.

Grace just giggled, jumping down from the counter as I began to wipe down the counter. Running back to her bedroom, I continued to try and clean up the mess we made, and the mess that covered me.

A few minutes later, Grace ran back into the kitchen after washing off her face and throwing on my hoodie.

"So I see you found the hoodie I brought you." I continued to wipe down the counter.

She walked over and wrapped her arms around me. "I always do."

Her little giggle made me smile. Her arms fell back to her side as she jumped up to sit on the counter once more, watching me clean.

Once the kitchen was cleaned, I showered and changed into some clothes that were in my go bag downstairs and Grace did the same, keeping my hoodie on.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked, Grace sitting on the couch tying her shoe.

She jumped up after knotting her laces once more. "Ready!"

I grabbed her hand, walking down the stairs with her.

"I'm driving." she insisted.

I pulled my keys from my coat pocket, pulling Grace closer to my car as we walked. "No way, I'm driving."

She gave me her puppy eyes. "Spence, please."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, but I'm driving us back."

Grace jumped up and down in excitement, reaching for her keys out of her purse and walking around to the driver's side as I got into the car on the other side.

After about ten minutes of trying to decide where in the world to go to lunch, we settled for a diner right up the street, which was our favorite place to eat when we were in high school.

As Grace parked, nearly crashing her car, we made it there alive. I walked over to her side, waiting as she grabbed her purse and got out before reaching to hold her hand.

"For two please." I told the hostess before she walked us to a booth, Grace and I sitting across from one another.

Lunch was peaceful, nearly reminding me of being young. The entire time, Grace couldn't help but ramble on about all the milkshakes we shared in that exact book during our junior year.

But I did the same when I had a chance to speak. Reminding her of all the nights we spent here studying, or all the times we ditched the football game to have dinner together.

Just like old times.

**

"What movie are we watching?" Grace asked, reaching for the remote.

I shrugged. "Up to you, even though you'll probably fall asleep."

"Not true!" she protested, sitting down on the opposite side of the couch from me, scrolling through the endless selection of films.

At last, Grace finally stumbled upon The Breakfast Club which was our favorite movie. While the movie started to play, I got up and walked into the kitchen to make some popcorn for the both of us.

"Here you go." I handed her a bowl of snacks before walking over to the other side of the couch where I was sitting.

The movie played on, leaving Grace to eventually crawl over next to me and cuddle up next to me, nearly falling asleep or so I thought.

"Spence?" she looked up at me.

My eyes met her's. "Yes?"

"Can we do this forever?"

I smiled. "Do what forever?"

"Us."

"Yes. Forever and ever." I leaned down, kissing her lips.

In that moment, life was perfect. Everything had fallen into place, leaving me to truly believe that everything happens for a reason.