chapter twenty one

Attitude. 

Narrator's POV:

Spinning around in her desk chair the next day, Grace crossed her fingers that the team would stay. Merely only to blame since she isn't cleared to go fight crime with the rest of them - quite yet. 

"You have got to be kidding me." Grace groaned, following Garcia's announcement of a new case. 

"Come on Pumpkin, don't whine." Derek teased, making Spencer laugh, but Grace looked as if she was on the verge of killing them both. 

Up the stairs and into the conference room they went with Grace slouching the whole way. She knew that this case would be boring no matter any way it went since she didn't get to go into the field. 

Both Grace and Spencer were in agreement that the bureau rules were stupid, but Grace was the only one seriously considering resigning. 

Beginning to ramble on and on about the case, the entire team attentively listened in, that was all except for Grace. One moment, yes she was listening, but the next she was thinking about anything but work. 

"So it looks like the BAU has a stalker?" JJ pointed out, walking in with a random bouquet of flowers, late. It was unusual that they ever received flowers, assigned to the whole team, without a name left behind. 

Her comment made Grace perk up a bit, grabbing her interest. 

"Boo hoo, stalkers. Bor-ing." she groaned, slumping back down in her chair after she saw that the flowers were roses, and not sunflowers. 

Hotch shot Grace a stern look. "My office after we're done here." 

Grace rolled her eyes, alerting the whole team that she was definitely in another mood. And not one they had ever encountered before. 

She didn't know why she was in this mood either. She had coffee this morning and luckily didn't flip off anyone on the way to work. 

But, then there was Spencer. 

They had shared maybe two words that whole morning and he was already on her last nerve. To say the least, things weren't going too well after their talk the day before. Not as Spencer had planned. 

"So from the looks of this case, we have a copy cat in Ohio?" Spencer spoke up, looking over the case file. 

"Whoever this unsub is, they have studied the MO's of these serial killers, to nearly perfect them to a t." Morgan added in. 

"True, it would be impossible for it not to be a copycat." Emily began, glancing over at the television. "I mean all the killers from these MO's are either dead or in prison." 

"I agree, but what leaves me stumped is this one scene." Rossi butted in, turning around the case file in his hands for everyone to see. 

In the pictures, a woman with a single gunshot to the head could be seen tied to a tree. Her hair had been shaved and face cut with a knife as concluded by the local coroner. 

"See, look at her hands." Dave furthered his conspiracy. "Her nails are painted." 

"W-why would that even matter?" Grace snapped from her daydream of being in bed. 

"Darcy Matthews never got her nails done, her financial records merely back that up. And the ME concluded that the polish was placed on her nails postmortem. 

"Like that one serial killer from Minnesota?" JJ asked. 

Dave nodded his head. "Gideon and I worked that case in summer of '82. John Marvis was eventually placed on death row and died before he was executed."