chapter 14

Today is friday,meaning tomorrow your girl is turning 22!
My gift arrived at 6am, my dad bought me a personal diary engraved with my birthdate and my name, a bouquet of sunflowers, a photo frame which is A3 size, with my favourite picture of my mum, i cried with i unwrapped this gift. The card reads:

"happy birthday princess, i know you enjoy writing your thoughts so i thought i should get you something personalised, the sunflowers seem to always brighten up your day, i want you to put these on your bedside so that when you wake up every morning they brighten up your day, your mum's portrait, i want you to put it somewhere where you'll never miss it, somewhere you'll be able to see it at all times because that will always be a reminder that you are never alone, she's with you always, i love you princess, Happy birthday!"

My gift left me feeling rather emotional, this is very thoughtful, i am so happy. Today i decide to wear a tight fitting casual dress with a v neck, it is nude in colour and i pair it with pink block heels, and a pink handbag, i tie my braids up into a bun then i wear gold loop earrings to top the look off. I look cute!

I prepare a bowl of muesli and plain yogurt,not an ideal breakfast for someone with a big appetite but i have to settle for this since I'm a bit late for work.

As soon as i get to the office, Pabi, the receptionist informs me that Mr Mazibuko Snr has called a meeting at the boardroom for the whole department that i work in. Its in an hour's time. My instinct tells me this is about the Mngomezulu case so I decide to use this hour to polish up on facts and to strengthen the case with a bit of ensight.

Its time for the meeting,I'm the first one to arrive at the boardroom, i grab a seat at the far end of the room, that's just who i am, i hate being in a position which makes people notice me, i dont like being the center of attention. People start filling in, then Mr Mazibuko Senior walks in together with his 3 sons.

"Goodmorning, first i would like to apologize for keeping you all away from doing what you came here to do but a very disturbing issue was brought to my attention,our attention rather, by Ms Mnisi relating to the books of Mngomezulu which i believe the whole department is incharge of handling, i have forwarded the email to all of you and i am sure that everyone has went through it?"

Everyone nodds in agreement, "great, i have called this meeting to inform you that for the duration of the investigation, Mr Maqawe Mazibuko will be put on special leave until the investigation is done" what?! Every one of us looks shocked by the news, Even Maqawe Himself

"Come on dad, who will take care of my duties while i am on special leave for something which i clearly have nothing to do with" Maqawe shouts, you can see the anger written on his face,this guy has a very dark auro.

"The issue of your duties was next in the agenda, Ms Mnisi will be our acting CFO for the duration of Mr Maqawe Mazibuko's special leave, she will also be the one heading the investigation" there's a lot of commotion in the room, i am caught up in my shock, how can i run a department on my own? I mean i am fresh from varsity, i know nothing about how things are done in the corporate. I cannot take up such a huge responsibility, the success of every company depends on their financial department.

"Ms Mnisi, will you be able to ?" Mr Phenyo Mazibuko,the head of the graduate programme asks, I cannot even respond, my hands are shaking, I'm sweating, I'm nervous,all eyes are on me, i nodd, wait! Did i  just nodd?!

Oh no no no! I cannot do this, i need to say something but i am tongue tied, this is too much for me. Before i could regain my strength to say something Mr M Senior beats me to it "Alright then, it is settled, Meeting dismissed"

Seems as though i am stuck to this chair because i see everyone walking out but i am still on my seat, Maqawe gives me a mean look then walks out.

Phenyo walks up to me "are you okay?" He says while pulling the chair next to me, i just nodd without uttering any word. "This is a great opportunity, its also good for your CV, look i am not trying to convince you to accept it, but i believe in you,this company needs someone like you, i read the report you wrote, i am impressed, you still have a chance to back down if you feel like this is too much for you" he says, i nodd and smile at him nervously.

He stood up and said"Believe in yourself and remember my door is always open" he then gave me a pat on my shoulder before walking out.

I need to call my sister, i dont think i can do this...