chapter 49

I got to work then headed straight to my office. Its 7h15 and my shift only starts at 8 but I'm already burried in work. While busy,Nhlaka walks in, he has a tendancy of just letting himself in. "I heard you were in earlier than usual so i brought breakfast" i smile "thank you" he hands me a paper bag with fresh butter croissants and a large cup of tea since i cannot have coffee with fruit salad on the side. I dig in immediately, he sits there. Apparently he enjoys watching me eat.

After my very filling breakfast i flash him a smile "thank you" i say, "you know it's always my pleasure" we sit in silence "your eyes are puffy and red, are you okay?" He asks, i let out a sigh "wanna talk about it?" He asks, i just look away. "Whenever you wanna talk you know where to find me" he stands and walks to the door but stops in his tracks. "Oh and we are going somewhere during lunchtime so please prepare yourself for that". I chuckle feeling defeated.

I recieve an email regarding the parenting classes that my husband and i signed up for, we've only attended once together, then i attended 3 of them on my own so i stopped going because it's sad being there alone while everyone else is there with their husbands or partners. The email is regarding non-attendance. I just ignore it and continue working.

There's a delivery guy at my door, he has sunflowers and a box of chocolates with him. "Mrs Mazibuko, special delivery" he says,i smile at him "i cannot accept that, please send it back" i hand him R300 which i assume thats how much these things are worth.

Its lunchtime,nhlaka comes knocking then we walk out with him holding my hand which is apparently his way of preventing me from falling. He's different compared to the time when we were together, he's lighter and less tensed up, he laughs more and jokes around more. We get into his car and he's playing old skool hip hop, i give him an inquisitive look, he chuckles "what? Ngimdala mina(I'm old)" we both laugh.

He drives for about 20 minutes before we get to this nice park with beautiful flowers and a nice little water fall. He takes out a blanket on the back seat then puts it down for us to sit before taking out a picnic basket. It has snacks and drinks. We sit "so i brought you here because this is where i usually come whenever i have a lot on my mind and whenever I'd like to clear my head, away from everyone, just me and nature." He says.

I must say, this is a very peaceful place, we sit in silence "he'll come around" he blurts out "trust me" he adds, how do i even tell him that my husband is cheating on me? How do i even begin to explain the pain that this has brought to me, i feel his thumb wiping mt falling tear. "He is cheating on me" i say, i can see him clenching his jaw, i guess he did not expect this. He doesnt say anything we just sit and eat in silence then we pack away and drive back to work in silence.

It's knock off time now so i pack my bags and drive, drive to where? I dont know....

*Phenyo's POV*
I've been sitting on my desk looking at these sunflowers here, she rejected my gift. I really messed up. But it's not what you think. Vannessa is one of the graduates we recruited this year. She's young, 21 years and originally from Joburg, she has shown an interest in me eversince she arrived here, apparently someone poisoned the graduates that I'm always after new graduates that join this place and as a result I'm married to a former graduate programme intern.

She's been on my back eversince the first month she joined the firm. She suddenly wears skimpy outfits all in the pursuit to impress me. Not once have i given her an impression that i like her. Recently,I've been working organising my wife's birthday, I'm doing this on my own because i cannot risk someone telling her, hence why I'm always home late.

Honestly nothing is going on between Vannessa and i, she once kissed me but to avoid her getting dismissed i decided to let it slide which gave her an impression that I'm actually into her. Initially when she joined the firm i thought she just needed a mentor and a friend and as a result we'd have lunch together and sometimes in my office,i guess that as well might have given her the wrong impression. My wife is upset and she left all because of the Vannessa chick so maybe i should just set the record straight by reporting her inappropriate acts to HR.

I've sent HR and email, right now I'm tracking my wife's car and it looks like she's driving and she's been on the road for 30 minutes now. I tried calling her and it seems she has blocked my number. She finally stops at Amero Hotel, it's about 15 minutes away from here, i dont know whether to go there or not. My dad is the only one who can help me with this situation.

I leave the office and drive to my parent's house. I walk in and find mum in the sitting room drinking tea and sewing. "Phenyo" she says a bit stuttled "ma, how are you?" She smiles "i cannot wait for my grandson" she says while waving whatever she's knitting in my face, it looks like blue baby socks, i chuckle "ma, what if its a girl" she frowns a bit, i laugh "awuhambe la(get away)" she says throwing the remote at me.

I run upstairs to dad's study. I knock lightly before he lets be in "Mwelase" i say "ndodana(son)" i sit down, he pours himself a glass of whiskey, "what brings you here" i sigh "baba i messed up" i say he stares at me for sometime "umenzeni uZinhle(what have you done to zinhle)?" I look down in shame, i might have not slept with vannessa or even had an affair with her but the way this has affected my wife, i honestly wish i had put a stop to it sooner.

I tell my dad what happened. "So you let her walk out of the house with her luggage?" He looks at me looking rather upset "what would i have done baba? UZinhle is stubborn" i say. "Well boy, you never let your wife walk out of the house, rather leave instead of letting her do it, especially in her condition, what if something happens to her while she's out there, Phenyo it's time you become a man now and stop acting like a small boy,you're a husband and a father to be"

I guess he's right, "I'll discuss this with HR, this Vannessa girl has to go, she's clearly troublesome" he then takes his phone "makoti" *silence* "i called to invite you over for dinner tonight" *silence* "alright sisi, see you later" he hangs up.

Now this is your chance to fix your mess, Zinhle will come over later and your mother and i will give you space to talk things out, pray that this girl forgives you or else I'll break your bones, she doesnt deserve this, especially in the state that she is in.