chapter 22

*Phenyo's POV*
My parents finally decide to leave, i can see that Zee was uncomfortable around them and they kind of ruined my plans. "Boy boy ingane lena(she's a child)" thats my mum, i sigh, i dont even know what to say.

Zinhle has an effect on me, she challenges me, she's so driven and focused, i find that really attractive,she knows what she wants and she's not afraid to go for it, i love her confidence, she is confident in her own skin, she dresses well and she's well mannered.

"Mwelase(clan name) i hope you know what you are doing, this girl is too young" with that said she walks off to the car leaving me and my dad standing on the veranda.

"I'm not pleased with this, she's young ndodana, she's 8 years younger than you, you are going to distract her" see what i meant when i said dad adores Zinhle? He thinks she has the potential to run a whole company on her own.

"Baba, weren't you the one that told us that it's better for a man to be with a woman who's a bit younger? Isnt there a 13 years age gap between you and Ma?" He sighs "this is different son, she's young, she seems to be clueless about relationships while you are experienced, you'll hurt her" he's probably right, I'm dont deserve Zee, she's soft and loving, I'm just empty.

"Think things through before initiating a relationship with her, take your time son" he gives me a pat on the back then walks to his car. I guess he's right, if i really want to be with Zinhle then i shouldn't rush things with her.

When i get inside the house i find her all ready and waiting for me by the kitchen, i really dont have strength to say anything so i grab my car keys and signal her that we may go.

The drive back to work was rather quiet, music was playing but none of us spoke to the other, it took everything in me not to hold her hand or look at her while driving, Zinhle is everything, everything that i cannot have.

Zee's POV
Well even a stranger can tell that Phenyo's mood went all the way to a zero after speaking to his parents, i dont want to even ask about it. When we get to work, he doesnt even get come of his car, he just waits for me to get inside mine before he drives off, well i guess this was just a good day which took a turn for the worst.

I got to my place, changed into my PJ's and started cooked, i made chicken and rice. After cooking i ate then studied a bit, exams are coming up, in case you forgot i am doing my honors via distance learning.

I lost track of time, i realised its 3am already and I've been studying since 7 in the evening. I pack my books and head to bed

*A month later*
I've had a rather dry couple of weeks, it was the same normal routine throughout, go to work, get home, eat, check up on my family then study. My exams went well, I also had shorter working hours because of exams. My friendship with Phenyo kind of dissolved, maybe its because of my exams and he avoids being a distraction.

Today is the 1st of December, i cannot believe that this year went by so quickly. I'm getting my results around the 10th and only then will i know whether or not to prep for my honours graduation, it's been a tough year ,trying to juggle both work and school wasnt easy but i did well with all my other tests and exams and hopefully the results are a reflection of my hardwork.

Work has been a bit less hectic in the past couple of days, since most companies are preparing for the holidays there's not much work for us, only just making sure that all books are updated and balancing everything that occured in the current year. Our company is closing on the 15th then we'll open again on the 15th of January. I've decided to take a break from studying for just next year thereafter i can consider futhering or getting a new qualification.

I'm so excited that in just a couple of days I'll finally get to see my family again, i miss home. Its knock off time already, well i got my salary yesterday but i didnt get the chance to go grocery shopping plus i have nothing to cook so i drive to the mall. Started at woolworths, i bought everything i needed in the food section, paid then went to look for clothes, its been a while since i bought myself any new clothes.

What was supposed to be a mini shopping turned into me buying almost every clothing item i came across, i even bought myself a swim set. Now to clicks to get my toiletries. Well i cannot find the sanitary pads that i usually buy, they're probably out of stock, this is a bummer, I'm sensitive to other brands. Maybe i should ask, they probably have the stock but they havent packed it or probably have it in another branch.

"Excuse me,hi, could you kindly assist me I'm looking for a specific brand of pads but i see the shelves are empty"
She looks at me and briefly smiles "good day mam, unfortunately I'm just a sales floor assistant, I'm unaware of the availability of stock, can i call the manager for you?" She's so polite, she also looks very young. I smile back at her "i would really appreciate that please" she walks off to whereever then i keep checking out other pads that are available if it so happens that i cannot find what I'm here for.

"Mam, the manager will be with you shortly" then she stands next to me, "Good day Miss, how may i assist you" thats voice again, the voice that i haven't heard in months, the voice that I've longed to hear in a really long time, my heart breaks at the thought of how things ended before they even started.

"Uhm... I, I'm looking for a specific brand of sanitary pads but i see the shelf is empty so i was wondering if you could check if they're available at any other clicks store nearby?" Well here i am looking nervous and shaky, Nhlaka looks unfazed, his face is just emotionless. "No problem, please come with me mam" i follow after him to what looks like the managers office, when did he become the manager though?

He asked for the brand and checked "unfortunately it doesnt look like there's any of these available close by, the only store that has 2 packets left is 3 hours away" well thats a bummer. I thank him before walking out, the akwardness between us really broke my heart, but i guess i asked for it.

I drove back home, when i got there I changed into my summer pyjamas, then started cooking, today i felt like making oxtail and creamy mash with cheesy brocolli on the side. I switched on the radio since i cannot connect my phone because i needed to charge it.

As i was cooking, i hear a knock, wipe my hands then i attend to it, but who could it be? "Hey, i came bearing gifts" he smiles for the first time today, i step aside and allow him in. He hands me a clicks plastic bag, when i check the content of the pastic bag, its about 4 packs of sanitary pads, the ones that i use. I chuckle a bit ,"Ngiyabonga Nhlaka(thank you)" he smiles back.

"Well let me get going, have a nice evening" i guess the good vibes were short lived, he's back to his formal self again, he walks to the door but stops midway then turns back to me, i dont know how or when it happens but his lips crash into mine, at first i dont respond because I'm still trying to comprehend what had just happened, I finally respond to it when i felt his hands travel to my waist. His hands move further below my waist until one hand reaches my butt cheek, he squeezes it and lets out a groan, I feel my body reacting to this, but i need to stop this, it feels so good though. I pull back immediately when i feel his shaft poking through his sweatpants.

I'm looking down, i dont know if it is because I'm suddenly feeling shy or is it because I'm embarrassed that my body reacted. "maMnisi, please look at me" he's holding my chin, I'm still in his arms and this feels great.

I eventually look up "I'm not him, it's unfair for you to judge me based on your past experience, I'm a man and a real man knows when he has found treasure, I'd never hurt you intentionally, let me in maMvuleni, let me be the one to prove to you that true love is not a fairytale, let me love you the way you deserve to be loved" I'm tearing up, I feel my tears gush down my cheeks, he wipes them off with his thumb before kissing my cheek as well as my forehead before pulling me to his chest.

I cry, for the first time since what happened between Mulalo and i, i let it all out, I finally get to let out the pain that I've been feeling for so long, Nhlaka just lets me be, he is not saying a word, all he does is just kiss my forehead and rub my back, i needed this...