chapter 24

I'm packed and ready for joburg!! My dad will arrange for my car to be brought home for me again, its 5 pm and my flight leaves in an hour, I'm waiting for uMbulazi, we haven't spoken since the day he stormed out, i cooked for him as a gesture of saying I'm sorry, i sent him my flight details he didnt respond but he openned the messages.

I spent this morning with Jess and Tasha, Tasha was assisting me with packing and cleaning up, I packed 3 bags but i still feel like I'm underpacked if Thats even a thing.

I've been waiting for Nhlaka since 4pm i was actually hoping we'd have lunch together before i go home but i guess i thought wrong. I tried calling him but he isnt picking up.

"Babe i know i promised to drive you to the airport but I'm held up at work, have a safe trip, i love you maMvuleni" this better be a prank, i try calling him again and it rings unanswered. Well that hurts, but I'm used to this anyway.

I request an uber to the airport, as i was waiting for my flight someone pats my shoulder, i turn back and to my disappointment its Phenyo, well i was hoping it would be Nhlaka and we'd laugh about that sms as if it never happened.

"Going somewhere?" He asks, flashing his smile. "Well I'm going home for the holidays, where are you off to?" I ask. "I'm attending a friend's wedding in Joburg, by the way, congratulations on your win! Well done on bagging that honours qualification" i smile, I'm truly proud of myself. "Thank you" i smile, we chat until its finally time to leave, coincidentally our seats are next to each other.

The 2 hours flight was like a 15 minutes ride with Phenyo cracking jokes, telling me about his childhood and his varsity days, he was your typical fuckboy apparently, but you can tell by the gold tooth and the way he dresses now.

Its evening already when we land and i want to surprise my family so I'll uber home instead of asking someone to fetch me, "i booked a car for the weekend, i wouldnt mind driving you home, its not safe to uber at this time of the night" he's such a gentleman, i agree because truth is, i was also a bit afraid of ubering at night.

"So what are you doing tomorrow?" He asks. "Ah nothing really, i guess spending time with the family" i say.
He keeps quiet we drive all the way to my older sister's house in morningside sandton, we are now parked outside the gate, "would you like to be my plus 1 for the wedding tomorrow?, i mean I'll understand if you cannot make it" he looks nervous, i laugh and he joins in. One thing about Phenyo, i get to be myself around him, i get to be dumb and laugh at silly things while with Nhlaka even a small joke somehow gets him all worked up.

I agree and he said he'll whatsapp me the details. He helps me offload my luggage then i ring my sister's intercom. "Mthethwa residence" thats my sister's husband, "Hey Bhuti, please open up its Zinhle" the gate opens and i walk in, but Phenyo is right behind me holding my 2 other bags, but where is he going?!

I thought he'd leave the bags inside the yard then go but he's standing with me waiting for someone to open the door,as soon as Thengi opens the door she runs to be and embraces me with a warm hug, the kids also run to be and now each one of them wants to give me an update on what has been happening since i was gone. I'm getting emotional,i missed this.

"Haii hambani niyolala nina(go to bed)" thats my sister addressing her kids, they dont look too pleased about this but they took my luggage and walked in. "Sisi, this is my manager,Phenyo Mazibuko" my sister stares at him before she fakes a smile "so do you do this with all your employees?, i mean driving them home at night?" But why is she attacking him though? "Cha sisi, i only helped her because i was coming to the same neighborhood and it's late for an uber" my sister nodds. "should i fix you something to eat?" She addresses me, i nodd and just like that she walks off leaving me with Phenyo.

"I'm sorry about that, she's very protective of me" Phenyo looks at me and smiles. "I understand, i would to if i had such a beautiful younger sister" I smile back shyly. I walk him back to his car and he drives off.

As soon as i got into the house i found my sister in the kitchen so i sat on the high chair as she prepared food for me "Ntomb'Zinhle" she never calls me never calls me by my full name unless its something serious so i wonder what this is about "sis?" Shes not even looking my direction "umdala lomfana(that guy is old)" i know she's talking about Phenyo, "yebo sisi, we are just friends and colleagues" she looks at me then stares back at the plate shes dishing up.

"Just be careful not to mix business with pleasure, it never ends well" she hands me a plate then walks out, well she's right, Phenyo is old and he's my manager so i cannot pursue anything with him, plus I'm with Nhlaka.

*Nhlaka's POV in the next chapter. Apologies for not updating last night, i havent been feeling well*