chapter 37

*saturday*
I was woken up by my cousins and sisters singing wedding songs. I'm happy,not only because this day has finally come but because i dreamt of my late mother and she looked so happy.

It's 8h00 and the ceremony is scheduled to start at 10h00, Phenyo has been calling me for the whole night i even decided to ignore his calls. I take a shower then walk out with a towl wrapped around my body, my cousins and sisters are sitting here all dressed and ready. "Chomiza i bought you something that you should wear under that dress" thats Mupmi,she hands me a box the size of a regular shoe box.

I unwrap it and oh my word, its  a red lacy lingerie, I've never worn this ever in my life, all the girls suggest that i try it on so i take it then walk back to the bathroom and wear it , i must say i look good in it, i love what it does to my breast, and i like how it is strapless. I walk out and they all cheer. They help me into my dress then Thando helps me with my weave, she straightens it then my face,i always play it safe with a nice natural look. Topped this look off with read matt lipstick and red strappy block heels. My aunt walked in with isiqolo(a zulu "hat" which is worn mostly by zulu wives) it has a piece of animal skin then it has beads, i wear it over my weave.

My dad walks in and asks that we be left alone. "Ntomb' ka baba(daddy's girl)" i smile "yebo baba(yes dad)" he looks at me with a smile "I'm so proud of you my baby, the life you've built for yourself, the independent woman that you've become,I'm also very proud that you are getting married out of love and not as a means to get a better life, you've achieved so much nana and daddy is so proud, i want you to know that no matter how many qualifications you obtain, no matter how many kids you bare and no matter how far in the world you live, always remember that you'll always be my little girl and nothing will ever change that, not even the new surname will change that. I love you nana and i always want whats best for you, if that boy ever breaks your heart, I'll make sure he regrets it for the rest of his life" he kisses my forehead then wipes a tear off his eye "your mum would be so proud of you, umuhle(you're beautiful) you remind me so much of her, i bought you something"

I'm trying so hard not to cry as this might ruin my make up and Thando won't be pleased at all my dad takes out a small box "here, this is yours" i open it and its a locket with my mum's picture (a locket is a necklace with photo) okay screw this the water works are falling, my dad tries wiping my tears off but he's also tearing up "you see now Thando will hate me for this" we both chuckle "okay baby, let me call them back in so they can fix your make up, its almost 11 we are late already, i love you Ntomb' ka baba" he kisses my forehead then walks out.

Thando fixes my make up then we are all rushed out. We walk out while everyone is singing, I'm happy, this is it, its finally happening. My dad hired my favourite car to drive me to the Mazibuko residence, a G63. I feel like a queen.

We get to the Mazibuko residence, the gate is closed,before i could get out of the car, my aunt comes and covers me with a blanket over my shoulders. We stand at the gate and sing while my uncles and Phenyo's uncles deligate. Finally after what seemed like forever,we had to pay a fine for arriving late then the gate was opened, women are ulelating, men are  whistling and doing the zulu traditional dance, all this while I'm facing down because according to the peptalk my aunts gave me, I'm not supposed to look around.

While everyone is still singing, his scent is the first thing i pick up before his hand reaches out for mine. My aunts will forgive me i need to see my man. I look up and he smiles,he looks surprised a bit though. I smile back at him then we walk in, everyone else goes and sits by the wedding setting under the stretch tent while I'm taken into the house by Phenyo's mom along with other women whom i assume are his aunts.

They first sat down with me and told me the do's and dont's of being a bride before helping me change into another dress that the Mazibuko's bought for me which is purple together with a matching doek, i change into traditional flipflops to match that. Then we walk out with them singing "umakoti ungowethu". Never in my life have i ever imagined myself getting married, but its happening and I'm so happy.

Phenyo and i are taken to a small hut where they joined us and burned incense as a way of informing the ancestors of the new addition to the family. We walked out of the hut holding hands. He looks at me and smiles "you look so beautiful today, the hair and make up... wow babe" oh thats why he looked surprised earlier "ngiyabonga sthandwa sam(thank you my love)" he stops walking and holds my hand "thank you maMvuleni, thank you for agreeing to be my wife, trust me you'll never regret this" he kisses my cheek then his aunt appears "weeh Phenyo, what are you doing? People are waiting for you inside the tent" we chuckle and keep moving like little kids caught doing something they shouldnt be.

We get to the tent and the part of the ceremony known as umembeso starts, its basically a gifting ceremony, gifts from my family to the mazibukos. We hand gifts while each recipient dances and sings its a nice ceremony until its my turn to show the family how well i will take care of my husband. Now this is how it works, i need to pretend to be washing my husband's feet, helping him brush his teeth and pretending to wash his face. Now he needs to lay down in bed then my family will whoop him as a way of waking him up because a man that sleeps cannot provide for his own.

I felt sorry for my hubby when they all started whooping him. Its finally time to eat, Phenyo's mom gave me strict instructions not to eat food that is served to me and also to dish up for myself and my husband. I do so then serve my man, we start digging in. After lunch it was basically a party now, with music banging and people drinking.

Phenyo'a friends are also here with their wives, Sphelele was Phenyo's right hand man. I forgot to tell you guys about how sexy my man looks. He's dressed in full zulu traditional attire, he's shirtless, wearing ibheshu and the zulu traditional shoes. My man is hella fine! I've been drooling since this day started.

Its late now and my family is leaving, I need to stay behind for the rest of the week and perform wife duties before going back to work and lucky for me my husband isnt going anywhere either.

Phenyo's mom showed me to Phenyo's room, now since we are not in the city, all rooms are outside the main house, Phenyo's room is basically like a house, has a bedroom, a bathroom and a sitting room. I put my bag down the head to the shower, i left him with his friends so that i can get some sleep.  I get back into my lingerie just to tease my husband.

I dozed lff whe waiting for my husband. I feel cold lips on my neck, I'm so tired but he's so persistent. "This looks good on you" i know he's referring to what I'm wearing, i grin a bit. He gets into bed and turns me to face him, he starts kissing me and i can taste the alcohol. He's gentle as always and just like the very first time, i enjoyed every moment of our love making. "I love you Zee" he pulls me into his arms before we both pass out.