chapter 25

*Nhlakanipho's POV*
I was supposed to drive Zinhle to the airport today,but i recieved a call from my younger sister letting me know that uMa has been asking about me and that she isnt in the best of health but she was told not to contact me, actually no one was supposed to tell me about my mothers state. I totally understand why though, i decided to drive back home soon after speaking to Zenande, my younger sister.

I love Zinhle, with all my heart but sometimes i feel as though she's just too young and immature for me, I'm 28, I'm looking for someone ready to settle, as much as i love her a part of me feels like she isnt ready.

The drive home was worth it, i needed some time away from the city. I arrived in bergville in the early hours of the morning, i havent spoken to Zinhle since the Sms i sent her, in fact i havent been on my phone since.

I'm finally home, its 5am in the morning and it looks like everyone is still asleep so i sit in the car and call Zenande "Bhuti" she's whispering so that no one hears her "vula sengifikile(open I've arrived)" i cut the call before she protests, i didnt tell her that i was coming.

She opened for me and i went and sat in the dinning room, this place hasnt changed one bit, it feels great to be home, I've missed the feeling of being around an environment which i am familiar with. "Bhut'Nhlaka" thats my other younger sister Zandile, she's 23 and Zenande is 21years. She looked shocked to see me, she rushes to me and gives me a hug then she starts weeping in my arms, this breaks my heart.

My sister's and i decide to prepare breakfast for the family  before everyone wakes up, we told the helpers to rest for the morning. After setting the table, my older brother Nathi walks in, "Bafo" i say, he looks upset, "i had to do it bafo, i had no choice" he embraces me in a warm hug, i missed being home, after so long i finally let it all out, i cry in my brothers embrace like a little boy,dad will probably chase me away but it was worth it seeing my siblings again.

We sit around the breakfast table with my siblings as i tell them all about my new life, what i do and where i live. While we were laughing at Zenande's embarrasing first year experience my dad clears his throat. "Nhlakanipho" i cannot read his expression, "sawubona baba" I stand to greet him "ufunani laykhaya(what are you doing here)" i expected this "ngizobona uMa(I'm here to see my mother)" he turns to my siblings with a questioning looking probably wondering how i found out.

"Have you forgotten that you left here without any of us knowing, you're no longer a part of this family" he is upset, really upset "baba yehlisa ulaka(dad, come down)" thats my older brother, he has always been the mediator. My dad walks out. "Dont mind him bhuti,he'll come around" just then my dad walks in with Thembisile, my "wife" she's weeping "do you know hoe much pain you've caused this young lady?, she sacrificed her life to be with you only for you to run like the coward that you are" those words broke my heart, I'll never amount to anything in my dad's eyes unless i keep living in his shadow.

I should probably leave, it was a bad idea coming here anyway, "Nhlakanipho mfanawam(my boy)" my mum's soft angelic voice calls out for me as i am about to walk out, i look towards the stairs and i see her, she has lost so much weight, the sight in front of me really breaks my heart, i go up to her and she embraces me in her arms. We both cry like someone died, i missed this, i missed her so much.

I help her down the stairs and she sits in her chair, before my dad walks out my mum speaks "baba, izohlala pansi(come and sit with us)". Now there's one thing about my dad, he would do anything for my mum. He sits next to her and we say grace and dig in. Like old times. Thembi keeps stealing glances at me, i guess i owe her an explanation she's sitting next to me. My phone rings and the caller ID is "Zinhle wam" with a heart emoji, Thembi steals a glance at it then looks down probably hurt. I decline the call and we continue eating. My mum went in for seconds i guess she enjoyed the food, she asks my dad to accompany her as she wants to go and lie down a bit.

"Lets go out for a walk bafo" my brother suggests, we go out to what used to be our spot. "You know uMa hasnt sat with us on the table since you left?" That breaks my heart, "the past couple of days she hasnt been eating or speaking to anyone, we were all shocked when she spoke to you and dad today, Bafo you really broke her heart when you left" i dont know what to say.

"I had to do it bafo, i couldnt live under dad's shadow forever" my phone rings again, its Zinhle "MaMvuleni" i pick up "Mbulazi,you've been quiet" see what i mean, Zinhle is too soft, i would've expected her to be upset with me but she's not "look maMnisi, I'm driving I'll call you back" i hang up.

"Trouble in paradise?" My brother brings be back to the present. "She's too young,too soft and way too understanding, i dont know how to handle her" he chuckles, "maybe she's exactly what you need to soften up that cold heart of yours" he's right, "but bafo, I'm afraid that I'll hurt her in the process" he looks at me "if she loves you, she'll stick around"

We spoke for a while with him telling me that he took a second wife and how proud dad was when he did. Maybe i could also take Zinhle as my second wife, she holds my heart but she's way too soft for me, while Thembi is a bit mature and a bit more experienced as compared to Zinhle.
But will Zinhle even agree to the idea?