chapter 18

I'm shocked... actually thats an understatement i dont even understand how Nhlaka has so much intel on how things work in the corporate when this person is merely just a shop assistant.

"Nhlakanipho, how?...how do you know so much?" I think only then does it register to him that he has said a lot more than he should've. "I think you should leave" i say this while standing up and walking towards the door, suddenly i feel unsafe around this stranger in front of me. He looks defeated but respects my request and walks out.

Nhlakanipho's POV
I can see i must've really shaken Zinhle with all that I've said so i wont even protest, I'll just leave her to process everything first before even contacting her.

You're also probably wondering how i happen to know so much about the corporate... well let me introduce myself then you'll find out.

I'm Nhlakanipho Mabaso, 28 years of age and a holder of a degree in economics as well as an MBA graduate. I have a passion for economics. I  have 3 siblings, an older brother and 2 younger sisters. I am originally from KZN in Bergville, i come from a well off family, my dad is a chief and my mum is a qualified nurse.

I am married with no kids, yes i know you're probably judging me right now but this was an arrangement. I had to do it for my dad, I've always lived in my dad's shadow,I've always lived to impress him until 2 years ago when i decided to leave it all behind and go and start a new life far away from what i knew, I decided to cut all communication with anyone back home, i left without telling anyone, my Wife, Thembi was away visiting her family and i took that as an opportunity to run, my family didnt even bother looking for me which i truly appreciate.

I work at a retail store because i have no references on my CV, a 28 year old with no working experiences at all, hence why i cannot get the job that i am qualifed for because of lack of experience so i keep myself well informed about the financial industry hence why when i saw what Zinhle was working on, i got overly excited and decided to blab about forgetting that I'll probably just creep her out.

Truth is, I'm in love with Zinhle, i fell in love with her the moment i layed my eyes on her, i remember every moment of it, her scent, her shy smile, her cute chubby cheeks as she smiled, her clear caramel skin, her rich fluffy afro. I haven't felt like this in a really long time, i like the feeling i get when i am with her. Zinhle makes me feel like a man, she treats me with respect, like how any Zulu man would like to be treated. Around her i get to forget how much of a failure and a coward that i am. But what happens when she finds out who i am? What happens when she gets to know the real me? I dont think i stand a chance with her, she'll probably go for someone in the same level as she is, not some coward who works at a retail store to earn a living.

Zinhle's POV
After Nhlakanipho left, i tried watching TV to get my mind off things a bit, since TV wasn't helping i decided to call it a night. I head to bed since tomorrow is the contract signing i need to be fresh and ready to take on the new post,which my dad is super excited about.

Monday morning,i am up at 6 am, i take a shower then head downstairs to prepare breakfast, today i miss home so i decide to cook white porridge, i add butter and sugar and honestly as soon as i indulge i get the feeling of home, i miss being home with my family, i miss being in a familiar environment, i truly miss breathing air that i am familiar with.

After cleaning up and washing my dishes i go up stairs to get dressed, while preparing i get a message from tasha saying she misses me and she'll come and see me after work. I reply with heart emojis.

Today i wean my tight fitting pencil dress, red in colour, its a slight off shoulder, pair it with black block heels, and i decide to wear a doek(headwrap) because my braids dont look great anymore so i tie my braids into a high bun, lay my edges then put a headwrap like how lauryn hill wears it? You know how boomshaka used to tie their doeks? Yep I'm rocking it like a real african queen today.

I take selfies, this has now become a norm, i guess i just love the attention I'm getting from my facebook, whatsapp and insta friends. Mulalo has been reacting on my posts quite a lot ey, but I wont even entertain him he's not worth my time.

Driving to work i am blasting Joyous celebration - ukuhlala kuye, this song uplifts me, its a song about giving glory to God and thanking him for keeping me under his wing.

I got to work and it seems I'm earlier than usual, i head straight to my desk, i start working on the final touches of my report, i decide to gamble and take the risk of adding in what Nhlakanipho suggested and hope for the best. A message comes through, its from Nhlaka: "maMnisi, I'm sorry if i freaked you up but I'm available to answer all your questions whenever you are comfortable enough, I'm sorry that i freaked you out, good luck on your investigation,i know you'll do your best,enjoy your day.
Your future everything"

I wont even respond to this... i am buried in my work until the board meeting starts, i am at the boardroom ready to present my findings just as the meeting is about to start, Maqawe walks in, i know i stood up to him but he still intimidates me...