#2: Discussion

It was well past curfew for most of scouting legion now. The ambiance was as calm as ever, and the hallways were almost in pitch black darkness. Tomorrow morning, the new batch of scouts would move in and receive their new uniforms. Until then, they were getting what little sleep they could have back in their training dorms.

As most of the survey corps regiment was sleeping the night away, Erwin Smith was still up in his office, doing paperwork, seeing them only thanks to the moonlight and the candle burning besides him. Exhaustion would get him sooner or later, but he planned on keeping up for at least a couple of hours.

The three knocks on his door were so quiet, he almost could have missed them.

"Come in, Levi."

The shorter man didn't need to get told twice. He opened the door, being careful not to make any noise. As he closed it behind him, he made eye contact with his superior.

"I knew you were still up. Here, I made us some tea. It's earl grey" he said, as he sat down in front of him.

"Of course it is. Thank you, I appreciate it. Is there something you wanted to bring up?"

"You know exactly what, or rather who, I want to bring up."

Sighing, the commander put his teacup down.

"She sure seems to be something, doesn't she?"

"When was the last time you encountered a rookie that trusted by their peers? Even that old deep-eyed geeser respects her, and that's saying something."

Erwin slightly smiled. "The last time was myself as a cadet. Meaning, that young woman really must be exceptional... plus her strength-"

"Oh, please." Levi countered. "I've seen the reports, but don't give her too much credit. She's strong, but not overly so compared to the rest of top ten. I'd say that Ackerman girl is roughly on the same level."

"You are probably correct. Nonetheless, considering all, [L/N] could be a great asset to humanity. Losing her would be a massive blow to our rank. Plus, it is rare that #1 chooses the survey corps. I wonder if she is the one who convinced nearly the whole top ten to join..."

"That's probably mostly Jaeger's doing. That brat is stupid, but I have to give him that he's got the most guts I've seen. His friendgroup is mostly the ten strongest, so I'd say he must have been pretty convincing too."

There was a brief silence as both men sipped their tea.

"Whatever it was, we're lucky the MP's didn't win them all over like they do every time" continued the blond one. "Had you ever heard about [L/N] before tonight?"

"The Jaeger kid" replied Levi. "He was singing her praise like he was speaking of his own sister. He said ever since they'd entered the training legion, she's been big help to everyone. She's older than the rest of them, so she basically babysat them the whole damn time" He lifted his gaze. "What about you?"

"Shadis mentioned her to me once, but I didn't pay proper attention. He did give me her background check just earlier, though. There's not much to know about her. No mentions of where she comes from, no family members, or previous affiliations. All we know is her name and the fact that she's about 20 years old as of now."

"I see."

"In any case," Erwin paused. "She sure is a potential future squad leader. We have to get to know her so we can judge her character properly."

"Leave that to four eyes" said Levi, rolling his eyes. "They haven't even met her yet, but they've been going on and on about [L/N]. You should have seen 'em. It's as if the brat is a new kind of titan."

The commander let out a chuckle. "Well, then. I'm not sure that's the best idea, but if it's what they want, let's let Hange introduce themself first. Be sure not to let them scare her away, though."

"Understood. It's getting late, and I have to help these kids move in early in the morning" said the shorter man, getting up from his chair.  "Goodnight, Erwin. Give your strategies a rest and get some sleep. You look like you need it."

Erwin gave him a soft smile.

"Will do. Sleep well, Levi."

As the door closed, Erwin blew his candle out and watched to smoke slowly disappear.

Tomorrow was looking promising.