#34: Flight or Fight

"Dead?"

The members of the squad hurried to get Hange a seat and a portion of food. The section commander looked disheveled from their horse ride all the way from headquarters to the hideout.

"The MP's. They tortured and killed pastor Nick for information," they affirmed, clearly distressed.

"Did he talk?" Armin asked, visibly worried about what that could imply.

"I don't know, he was already dead when I got there with Moblit. They lied and said he was murdered."

There was a moment of silence as everyone settled around the table to eat. Calmly, Levi took a sip of his tea.

"How many of his nails were missing?" he asked.

Hange shrugged. "All of them, from what I've seen."

The captain made a humming sound. "People who talk, talk after one. I'm impressed. Seems pastor Nick really was a man of conviction. Maybe I should've had some respect for him, after all."

"What were the MP's after?" Mikasa questioned. "Information about Historia?"

"Perhaps Lord Reiss has reached out to them," [Y/N] suggested. "They could truly be after her, then. They could want to kill her off to ensure that King Fritz stays in power. Yet, I feel like there's more to it than that..."

"We know that somehow, humans can be forcibly turned into mindless titans," Armin started. "We also know from Ymir that when a mindless titan eats a titan shifter, it inherits the shifting abilities. The government could somehow know that too. That's why the commander told us to protect Historia and Eren. They're likely after both."

"You think they want to make someone eat Eren?" Sasha asked, forcing out her words between two bites of her stew.

[Y/N] shrugged. "It does make sense. To the government, it would be far more useful to have a titan shifter fully under their control. They know that they can't tame Eren. We're still missing something, though. It can't just be that."

"Historia went through the ordeal of sitting all of us at this table earlier just to tell us what happened in her childhood," Armin chimed in. "We know Lord Reiss denied being her father and sent her to the military with a fake name. So, why act now? Because they know we figured it out? Because of Eren?"

"It's safe to say that Erwin saw all of this coming and orchestrated this hideout plan especially for this situation," affirmed Hange. "The murder of the pastor in probably just the beginning of a lot more struggle. Whatever the MP's are doing, it's likely not for the good of humanity, since the nobles put a fake king on the throne."

"Tch," Levi scoffed. "I knew those pigs couldn't be up to any good."

Historia, who had been silent up until that point, let out a shaky breath. "For what it's worth, I have no idea what my father wants with me. What worries me most is Ymir. What if they know about her, too?"

"Unlikely," Eren replied. "The public doesn't know about her, and she transformed in recluded areas. Only we know, along with the few medics who took care of her and swore to secrecy."

Suddenly, the door flung open. Everyone looked at the doorway, where a hooded figure wearing a scout uniform was panting, holding what seeming to be a letter in their hand.