#21: Revelation

Grunts and heavy breathing were masked over by a heart wenching scream as Erwin and Hange were restraining Mikasa to avoid her entering the cell.

"YOU!!" she yelled in rage, pointing at Bertholdt. "IT'S YOU! YOU KICKED DOWN THE WALL THAT DAY! YOU'RE THE REASON EREN'S MOTHER DIED! YOU'RE THE REASON WE LOST OUR HOME!"

"Cadet Ackerman, please keep your composure-"

"Mikasa!" exclaimed Armin, jumping in front of her. "It's okay! They're restrained underground, they can't do anything. Keep your head cool, alright?"

Gradually, she stopped fighting against the strong arms that held her, her gaze softening slighty towards Armin. Besides that, she kept her angered face.

"I should slit your heads off."

"As satisfying as it would be Ackerman, we can't do that yet," Levi chimed in. "These bastards hold too much information to be discarded."

"I-I'm not saying anything!" exclaimed Bertholdt, looking scared.

Reiner was avoiding looking at anyone.

"Bert, you disappoint me," decided [Y/N]. "You have humanity's best assets in front of you. Did we not prove our skills to you?"

"Maybe we should torture them," Armin added, a hint of his previous odd stare coming back. "They can regenerate, so it'll be even more fun. Just like with Annie! Oh yeah, we'll be at it all night..." he trailed off.

Levi looked up to give [Y/N] a weirded out glance, clearly saying "I thought this kid was sweet" with his eyes.

"Torture's not a bad idea, little Armin! I'll get my instruments!" Hange agreed, an odd glint in their goggles.

"Wait a moment," Erwin stepped in. "If there's any torture happening, cadet Arlert will take no part in it," he said, putting a hand on the teenager's shoulder. "We should entrust that to Levi and you, Hange."

"[Y/N]..."

Everyone looked back at Bertholdt.

Something had changed about him. Gaping mouth and eyes wide, he looked more insanely angry than he had ever been.

"[Y/N], you bitch. I thought you weren't one of these devils..."

Angered, Levi kicked the cell bars. "Watch your mouth, you filthy scum."

The tall boy ignored him. "You're not one of them... so why would you do this to us?"

"Not one of whom?" asked the young woman, venom in her voice.

"You're not supposed to be in these walls! We thought maybe you had eldian blood like Mikasa, but there's no one else of your race here. Plus you never mentioned anything about your family. Stop trying to fool us. You're an outsider, just like us!" he yelled.

"Shut the fuck up, Bertholdt," growled Mikasa. "Your bluff is not working. Give it up."

"TELL THEM! TELL THEM THE TRUTH, [Y/N] ! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE! If Reiner and I are going down... then you don't get to keep your dirty little secrets either." Bertholdt continued.

He looked completely out of his mind. If he suspected that, why bring it up now? To drive the blame away from himself out of guilt?

Everyone expected [Y/N] to start protesting and call the boy ridiculous, to threaten his life, or to laugh at him and give him a sarcastic remark.

Yet, she did none of that.

Instead, she stood there, tall and proud, glaring the dark-haired titan shifter down. She looked terrifying.