#31: Spills

Levi had slept for far longer than usual.

Perhaps it was the feeling of peace in the room or his lieutenant's warm embrace, but his blissful state of rest had done wonders on him. He felt calmer, energized.

When he awoke, he was still laying in [Y/N]'s arms. She had curled herself around his petite frame, like a child would with a teddy bear. Her scarred yet soft skin held him to her chest, which kept rising and falling slowly as she still slept.

As the clean scent of her sheets filled his nostrils, Levi's face heated up once again. He hadn't cuddled up in bed with someone else since his early childhood with his mother. It felt foreign yet familiar; and for a second he actually doubted if he could even muster up the will to pull away.

Nothing-- nothing he had experienced in the past could compare to this. He could have laid there forever, falling in and out of sleep without a care in the world.

Alas, he couldn't stay in that convenient bubble for long.

Slowly and carefully, he pulled himself out of his subordinate's loving hold, still sporting a red tint on his face. Then, as silently as possible, he began to put back on the parts of his uniform he had taken off the night before.

He turned his head to look at [Y/N], who was still sleeping peacefully. She had apparently replaced Levi's body with a pillow, burying her head in it while muttering nonsense under her breath.

Somehow, he knew that image would be burned into his memory for a long, long time.

The captain walked to the door, ready to leave her to enjoy her rest. She would have to get up in less than half an hour, and he didn't want to stick around and make things awkward for her.

So, as he got out of the room with a small smile on his face, he felt more thankful than he had in an eternity.

And maybe, just maybe, he felt a little happiness too.

~~~

"Hange, please. Concentrate on the work at hand."

Erwin felt as though he had repeated that sentence over a hundred times in the span of an hour. For a man as smart as he was, he felt rather silly to actually have asked his most energetic squad leader to sort out his paperwork with him. He should have known it would be like this; but he needed this done before evening and, well, Hange was the only one available.

"Come on, Erwin! I just want to have a chat while working, isn't that allowed?"

The commander sighed. "Perhaps this would have been sorted out more quickly if I had just done it on my own."

The goggled officer snickered. "Why are we even sorting these out? Zackly is ignoring us. Might as well ignore him, too."

"If we do that it'll give the crown yet another argument against keeping our regiment alive," replied the blond, clearly annoyed. "I have other things to do as well, so if you could please hurry up, it'd be great."

"Alright, alright. But, I wanted to ask..."

"Yes?" Erwin said, putting a pile of loose parchment aside.