#23: Shock

"For the love of Sina, [Y/N]. You've jinxed it. With your calm before the storm bullshit," Oluo half-heartedly complained, getting on the cart.

The cold air of the night was blowing softly against their skin as the scouts readied themselves for departure. Apparently, they'd received news of Wall Rose's breach, and some of the regiment was already on the front lines. Erwin had ordered Levi to take his most competent troupes with him and head towards the battlefield's destination, while he stayed behind and made sure the traitor prisoners behaved.

"Yeah sure, old man. It was already breached before I even thought of speaking," the young woman replied.

"Old man? I'm 19..." the scout member mumbled under his breath.

Before [Y/N] could wonder how the fuck that could be, they were joined by Hange and a man that seemed to be dressed as a priest. He looked nervous, and kept himself from uttering a single sound.

"Tch. Four-eyes, who's that?" asked an annoyed Levi.

"Oh him? Good ol' pastor Nick!" the squad leader exclaimed, slapping their hand on his back. "I didn't have time to mention him and his whole ordeal, did I? With all the business we had to tend to..."

"What's a wallist pastor doing with us?" questioned Armin, confused.

"He knows some crucial information that he just refuses to diclose, so I thought maybe if we took him to see the real situation we're in, it'd loosen his mouth a little..."

"Crucial information?" questioned [Y/N].

"After the female titan capture. A piece of the wall fell, and there was the face of a titan inside of it." They paused, looking down. "It's... insane."

Everyone's eyes widened. Just how many surprise could they have in such a short time?

"Pastor Nick told us to hide it from the sun, so we did. He refuses to say anything more, even though him and his wallist pals clearly know about this. So I thought taking him on a little stroll-"

"There's no need for that," countered Levi, tone threatening. "A bullet will do the trick alright."

"Don't waste your breath Levi, he's not gonna budge," said [Y/N], who sat besides him.

Everyone turned to her.

"His eyes. This man knows something far bigger than himself, and he doesn't feel like his life is worth giving it up. No amount of torture can bring anything out of him."

"I've realized," agreed Hange. "He still wouldn't say anything when I threatened to throw him off Stohess's damn wall. That's why I've been trying to do research instead," they explained, showing something they were holding in their left hand.

"...A rock?" asked the lance corporal. "You've got a passion for rocks now?"

"It's not a rock!" The goggled squad leader protested. "It's a fragment of Leonhart's crystal. It didn't evaporate after her titan form did, so I compared it to a piece of the wall. Turns out, they have the exact same composition!"

"The walls... are made of titans?" deducted Oluo, a horrified expression washing over his face.

"If that's true, then if Eren can master the hardening ability, he might be able to clog the breach of wall Rose," Hange continued.

"Moreover," Armin added, "That means he might be able to clog wall Maria too. In that logic, there would be no need for an expedition to go all the way to Shiganshina. We could go at night in a tiny group."

Silence took over the carriage for a brief moment. Each of them was looking at Eren, questioning look in their eyes.

"D'you think you can do it?" Levi finally inquired, staring the boy down.