#15: Reassurance

"You should be resting, [Y/N]."

It was the next day, and everyone at headquarters was still recovering, weather it was physically or mentally.

The sun was shining ever so bright outside as the young woman stood, walking up to Erwin. She'd seen him standing alone near the empty training ground and decided to join him.

It had been a while since she'd had a proper conversation with the commander. Yesterday's expedition had been a complete fiasco, one that she still couldn't really believe happened. She wanted to check up on the man, see how he was doing, since the whole thing was most likely being unfairly blamed on him.

"I could say the same for you, Erwin. Everyone should be resting."

The man sighed. "No matter. I've wanted to check up on you, you know. Let's go for a walk shall we?" he said, extending his arm for her.

Smiling softly, she took it and started walking alongside him.

"How is your head?" he asked plainly.

"Not bad, considering. The medic told be that I have a concussion, which makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I also have a slight head bleeding, but nothing major. They said I could still walk around, as long as I didn't do anything rash," she explained.

"I'm glad. What happened for you to injure yourself?" he asked, concerned.

The young woman sighed, putting her head on his shoulder. "A number of things. My first encounter with the female titan was right after the support squad left. It crushed the rest of my team but I managed to get away on a horse and reach three of my friends."

"Right after the support squad? Really?"

"That's right. When I got with my friends it appeared again and I faced off against it, but it gave me some bruised ribs before we got away," [Y/N] said.

"Ah yes," replied the blond. "Cadet Arlert told me about how you attacked. He couldn't believe how high you could jump. He said he admired your skills."

She smiled softly. "Is that so?"

"Yes, I've talked to him quite the number of times since you told me about his love for books. He is a brilliant young man." he said, smiling.

"I'm glad you think so," replied the woman. "In any case, my third encounter was when I found the Levi squad in the forest. It attacked out of no where and killed off practically everyone. It still hasn't sunk in..."

Erwin stopped walking and turned towards his subordinate, gaze serious yet caring. She looked up at him curiously, noticing the slight facial hair he'd grown in the last few days.

The man put both strong hands on her shoulders.

"[Y/N]... this was your first expedition, and I'm sorry it went so horribly. I know your comrades 's deaths will be difficult to go through, but I want you to remember that they were brave soldiers who fought well until the end."

His voice was gentle, more so than it should be, considering who he was. Observing him, she noticed just how tired and stressed he looked. His hair lacked their usual pommade, and he had slight eye bags that weren't there usually.

He was still as handsome as ever, though.

"Erwin," she started, putting her hands on his arms. "Don't worry about me. This is far from my first experience with death, I can handle myself. I'm more worried about you."

"...Me?" he asked, dumbfounded.

"You look exhausted. This is one our rare days of rest, we really should be inside. Get some sleep, commander," she said gently.