#30: Discoveries

"I don't get it, [Y/N]. Why do you never play with me anymore?"

The young girl sighed in annoyance. She didn't even bother to lift her gaze from the book she had in hand.

She had read it at least a hundred times, yet she kept coming back to it. It wasn't like there was a lot of reading material on their little farm, so she didn't have much of a choice but to read the same books over and over. This one, though, was her favorite. Something about escaping from an orphanage...

Reluctantly, she answered the one who had called her. "I'm reading. Honestly, won't you leave me alone for once? You know I hate being interrupted."

"But I promise this new game I made up is really fun! I made it for you!"

Her book snapped shut as she took in a deep breath, closing her eyes. "What do I need to do to be left in peace? Get out of my sight. Now."

Defeated, the boy walked out of the room.

"Honestly, Matthias..." [Y/N] whispered to herself, opening her novel back up. "Sometimes I wonder why Papa took in a brat like you."

A few seconds after, her eyes widened as she heard little sobs from right outside her door.

"[Y/N]."

The voice calling out her name pulled her out of her thoughts.

Leaning against the doorframe to her room, Levi was looking at her with his usual expression. Two cups of tea in hands, he was out of uniform, though he still had the 3dm gear straps wrapped tight around his body.

[Y/N] couldn't help but to think that they defined his muscles quite nicely.

"Oh, Levi. Good evening."

"I've tried calling your name a few times, but you didn't even seem to hear me. Are you okay?" he asked, extending one of the cups to her.

She gave him a soft smile, taking the warm tea in her hand. "I am. Thanks for worrying."

"You're sitting on your bed with the door open while staring into the void. So yes, I'm worrying."

[Y/N] sighed. "Come in, Levi. Sit besides me," she asked, patting the spot on her left. "Or should I call you Captain now? since I'm your lieutenant."

The man looked to the side, almost frowning. "Tch. Don't say that, it's weird."

"Yet the rest of the squad uses your title."

"It's not the same thing with you. Just call me by my name."

"Alright then, Levi. Just sit down, will you?"

Closing the door behind himself, he walked over to his subordinate, obeying her request. He sighed, taking a sip out of his cup. Even when they were sitting down, his head barely reached past her shoulder.

"This is delicious, thank you. I needed something warm, it's rather chilly tonight."

He looked up at her. "...No worries. I know you like this kind, so..."

The corner of her mouth went up. "What brings you here, Levi?"

He wanted to keep his usual composure; he really did. He forced himself to stay the same, but his heart was beating faster by the minute.

Lately, everything had been reminding him of just how inexperienced he was with romance. It was a foreign state of mind, feeling the blood rushing to his face when she said his name. He felt unstable-- so far from the immense control he usually had over himself.