CHOSEN

2016

Yoonji could feel the sweat drip down her forehead as she continued to dance. They had been given a new choreography to learn and the girl wanted it to be perfect before she had to perform it in front of the evaluators. It was nearly 2AM in the morning, and Yoonji knew that Yeji was not going to be happy. 

Yeji. She was just one of the many girls in her dormitory whom Yoonji loved. The two as well as Yuna had joined the company at the same time and had become immediate friends. Ryujin and Chaeryeong too were her good friends, but not even they spent this long in the practice rooms.

"One more time," She mumbled as the music began to fade. 

She stood up to press 'play' on her phone once more, but froze when she saw a figure at the doorway.

He was average height, just a little taller than her, and he had curly blond hair. His eyes held warmth in them and he had a smile on his face. 

It was Bang Chan.

Yoonji knew the older boy. He was very famous throughout the building, to trainees especially. He had been in the company for around six years and had been good friends with Got7's Yugyeom and BamBam. But whilst they had gone on to debut, he had continued his training, waiting for a group of his own.

She didn't know how he managed to do it. Keep going despite knowing that there could possibly be no light at the end of the tunnel. The debuting process was extremely difficult to get into, with only a select number of trainees making it to the final cut.

"I'm Bang Chan," He introduced himself.

"I know," The girl mumbled before quickly bowing "You're quite famous around the building,"

He chuckled and Yoonji tilted her head at the warm sound that came from his mouth. It was comforting. 

"Yeah, I've been here a good couple of years. You're Kim Yoonji, right?"

"That's me," Yoonji offered a small smile. She wasn't particularly good with talking to people she didn't know.

"You have a really good voice," Chan paused "Like, really good. Do you know how many people would kill to have a voice that sounds like honey?"

Yoonji frowned. "Have you heard me?"

"I've heard a couple times from passing and I've always stuck my head in to see who's singing. It's really good,"

"Thank you," She said shyly. It was always nice to hear it from the evaluators but even better to hear it from another trainee.

"I have a proposition for you," Chan stepped closer, his expression suddenly serious "JYP PD-nim called me into his office today and he wants me to create a group for the showcase next year. And I want you to be in it,"

It took the female a minute to fully understand what the boy had asked of her. Her expression dropped. "Your team?" She asked "The boy's team?"

"Yup,"

"But, is that even allowed?" Yoonji questioned as a sense of dread began building up in her "Did PD-nim say that you can invite a girl into the boy's team?"

"He said to choose the people who have the most potential," Chan said firmly "And you're brilliant Yoonji. Not only can you sing extremely well, but your dancing is another level as well!"

The girl was silent for a minute before saying quietly "I'm not the best out there. There are other trainees better than me. Thank you for the offer, but I just don't think it's possible,"

She made a move to leave but Chan blocked her path. He wasn't giving up that easily. 

"Yoonji," His voice softened "You have a lot of talent for someone who's only been training for around a year. Your voice, dancing, stamina. It's something that not a lot of people can have. Plus, if we win the showcase, we get to debut!"

"What about the other people in your team?" Yoonji asked softly "The other boys? How will they react to a girl joining their team?"

"I chose you, Yoonji," Chan said simply "They'll see why I chose you too,"