Chapter 58

Violet's POV

It was almost six o clock in the afternoon and I didn't have the energy to get up and prepare myself for meeting Reed, a part of me didn't want to see him, not because I hated him but just because of the fact that I didn't know how to face him. Living with him back in New York was different, we all had our pretences but here the best excuse I could make was to go get water or to just run away. Or the worst case scenario was that someone spilled wine on my dress like in those high school movies, thankfully this would be our last meeting. "Miss Violet, I am here to meet you outside." I groggily got out of bed and opened the door to reveal Hayley holding boxes upon boxes and there were two other girls behind her, holding a few more boxes. "Dear lord, what is this?" Hayley laughed, "Ma'am these are some dresses that you will be requiring during your stay here in Paris." I hated this extravagance, "I already brought so many dresses with me, you all didn't have to do this." Hayley laughed, "Ma'am your parents keep forcing us to buy these things for you and the ball tonight is the main aim as to why you are present here." I nodded, "I understand but this is sheer extravagance." Then it hit me, I had promised Reed that I would be present to meet him tonight at the balcony but I didn't know my answer for sure as of yet. "Did you pick out any dress that would be appropriate for an anniversary or dinner, something of that sort?" Hayley eyed me suspiciously, "I have a few dresses that fit the occasion perfectly but I only planned for a ball in mind." I shrugged my shoulders, "I am sure that there must be something of that sort, it's a private affair if you don't mind." Hayley nodded understanding, "Sure Ma'am, there is this one dress that I have picked out, it's black, absolutely stunning, a high end designer made this, has ruffles on the sleeves and is midi, a perfect dress for a French affair." I was intrigued by this whole concept, "Sure, I would love to see it." Hayley opened one of the boxes which had the dress and when she took it out, I was beyond amazed. It had the entire concept that I had imagined and there were a few boxes of diamond jewellery that went along with it. "I love it, I will wear it." Hayley smiled, "Of course ma'am, I will have it pressed for you." I went in the bathroom to get ready by taking a shower, blow drying my hair and curling the ends of my short hair and wearing some perfume that smelled intoxicating. 

I came outside wearing my robe and saw the dress lying on my bed, I quickly changed into it and wore my makeup which was a bit dark but not overdoing the situation, then I chose some black strappy heels along with my dress.  I chose a black clutch and walked outside to the elevator, grabbing my coat on the way to cover up a bit as I walked outside. I was a bit uncomfortable with a part of my legs showing but that didn't matter, all the girls could flaunt their bodies so why couldn't I? I pressed the elevator button to the balcony, checking the time as 7 o clock on my watch. The balcony was suspiciously empty and there was no one there so I thought that Reed had forgotten or something. I walked around for a bit, feeling uncomfortable as it was a bit dark but at one end, I saw the most beautiful table setup I had ever seen, with candles and roses and everything that was so romantic. But Reed was nowhere to be seen? "Hi love," I felt someone behind me which was definitely Reed, "Reed you scared the hell out of me." I had my hand on my heart, calming myself. "Also why did you plan all of this, this is too much, way too much." He chuckled, "Can you atleast turn around?" I realised I was deliberately ignoring him; thus I turned around, I was astounded to see Reed looking really handsome, he wore a black dress shirt and pants with black expensive looking loafers. "You look stunning Violet." I replied, "Thank you Reed, you look nice too." He pushed open the chair for me, "Please have a seat." 

"This is crazy, you did so much, thank you so much." Reed replied, "Crazy? Darling what I find crazy is that the universe keeps conspiring to keep us apart, but I think this is for the best." I sucked in my breath, "Perhaps yes, but it's really for the best, our marriage didn't work." Reed poured himself a glass of wine, pouring me some as well which I was not going to drink. "It was my fault, I thought about Melanie only, believe me how hurt I was when I found out that she cheated on me, I can't even imagine your pain." I laughed, "Pain, I wasn't in so much pain, it was more like being trapped inside your own mess." I noticed how diligently Reed was listening, which showed that he actually cared, "Enough about this, I am sorry for what I did, let's be happy for once, so tell me Violet, one thing that you actually enjoyed or liked about me?" I was in deep thought, "I don't know, I liked how you actually took out time to ask me how I was and saved me from the kidnapping once and from Sarah's abusive boyfriend, which sounds crazy believe me but yeah, yeah, it was fun. Also I kind of enjoyed how every girl was like oh your husband is so cute that actually made me brag a bit." Reed laughed, "Our marriage hasn't been the most normal believe me, but did you just call me handsome?" I rolled my eyes, "I called you cute not handsome." I admitted it. "So you called me cute, fair enough, I'll take it." I then asked, "What did you like about me?" Reed sipped his wine, enjoying this torment, "We could be here for a while if I started saying everything amazing about you, where do I start? Violet you are the most resilient, beautiful and optimistic person I have ever met. Even though you knew that you would be forced into unnatural circumstances by marrying me but you still went with this marriage, because you understood the meaning of family and love, you were there for me and supported me just by being there, you were like a ball of joy in my life, nothing in this world could ever take your place in my life, nothing ever, I am worried how I'll go on without you but believe me, I support you." That was the most touching thing anyone had ever said to me, "Thank you Reed, that was much more meaningful than what I had said." He breathed out, "Maybe yeah." There was silence between us for quite some time, before he finally got up and walked to me, "I didn't know what I had to get you as a parting gift, it was really hard for me to think of one but I got a promise ring, I think you'll like it," With that, he knelt on the ground, and opened up a Harry Winston box which had the most beautiful ring with diamonds all over it, "I wish this could be in different circumstances but I want you to promise me something." I was flabbergasted, "W-what?" 

"I want you to promise me that you'll love yourself, put yourself above others and be the best version of yourself and remember me when you need someone to talk to the most, do you promise me this?" My throat went dry and I couldn't even properly form a sentence, "Y-yes." He took my right hand, and slipped the ring on it, his eyes caught sight of our wedding ring on my left finger, "You better want to take that off now, since you're no longer married now." My head was pounding with thoughts, "I- Reed- I don't know what to say anymore." The ring looked beautiful and I couldn't even imagine what Reed was saying. "But I didn't get you anything, I feel so bad." Reed smiled slightly, "The best gift in my life is you." 

Out of instinct, I hugged him, and a lone tear fell out of my eye, he patted me on the back, I was on the verge of sobbing, "I am sorry Reed, that it had to end this way." He looked at me and wiped the tear from my eye, "Hey it's okay, everything happens for a reason, on the bright side, you'll be back at your parents' house or your own." I laughed wiping the corner of my eye, "Yeah you're crazy." Reed laughed, "Only for you sweets." 

"The ball?" Reed checked his phone, "I think it got postponed or something." I nodded, so this was the end to a journey, or at least I thought it was. But there was a new growing sensation in the depths of my heart, a feeling that I had never felt before, like warm ecstasy spreading through you.