Chapter 39

Violet's POV

I woke up in the morning with a throbbing pain in my head, the one my patients got after having a literal truck of tequila shots but my entire system was so accustomed to stress and mental strain that I could survive a whole day with this pain and be back in a single piece afterwards. I opened my phone to see a billion texts from Sarah saying that she needed a ride to work today, I gladly responded in affirmative because I would never let the people who made me today go to waste. I quickly showered and picked out my scrubs as usual, after wearing my badge, stethoscope and lab-coat, I headed for the kitchen to grab an apple or a quick snack. There was nobody outside as it was quite early today and I again noticed Melanie's bag on the couch which was peculiar because she was really early to leave in the mornings. 

I shrugged and grabbed a fruit before leaving the apartment and going towards Sarah's apartment which was honestly quite far from my own but I wanted some time to drive and for myself, away from all the worries that were surrounding my brain at that time. It was a peaceful journey to say the least, I finally got to see so many people after a long time and I was quite re-vitalised because of the fresh air and change of scenery. "Good lord, the world is quite vast." With that, time seemed to have passed quite quickly because my trail of thoughts kept going back to the meeting I had with Dr. Astrid yesterday, oh how I naive was I to think that Reed deserved a second chance, nobody deserved another chance at redemption, especially the person who broke you to pieces, far beyond repair. I was in crumbles but things could have been better, I hoped they would be but I could not conceal the truth with liquid lies that flowed right through my palms. I got out of the car and locked the door before heading into the complex, the sky was unusually grey that day, I really wished that it would not rain because it was something that really lowered my spirits. I pulled up the car in front of Sarah's apartment and noticed her window was open; which was quite odd since she wasn't the kind of person who enjoyed the call of nature or enjoyed any specific activity with the windows open. Squinting my eyes a little, I saw a silhouette of a girl hugging a boy, internally I smiled, they were indeed lovebirds but why was Sarah in a t-shirt and pyjamas? It was time for work and I was sure about the fact that I was not early, I checked the time on my wrist but I was exactly here on the time she had mentioned. Then, in the corner of my eye, I noticed Sarah walking towards me, terrified was an understatement, I was shook to the core. "Hey Violet, we're getting late, lets hurry up!" I pointed my finger to her apartment but she cut me off, "Lets go Violet, Dr. Astrid is going to be really mad at us for not being there on time, your shift starts now." I smiled, "I have some news to share with you, get in the car." She smirked, "I hope its good news." I giggled, "You bet." I just could not contain my excitement, "Guess what, I'm the Head of Department of Neurosurgery now." Sarah's jaws dropped open, "God!" I laughed hysterically, "I can't believe it, its all just so sudden." Sarah squealed and hugged me, "You have to take me out now, I am so happy for you." 

"Yes of course I'll take you out, soon you'll be the Professor of Medicine too, call it my sixth sense." She laughed nervously, "Yeah maybe." With that, we drove off, but who was the girl who was standing on her window sill, well now was the right time to ask her about such things. The drive became unusually quiet so I had to do something, "So what's up these days with you?" Sarah sighed, "Not that much really, what about you?" I shrugged, "What about Jason?" She shifted uncomfortable in her seat, "What-what about him?" I changed the gear, "How is he doing? Is everything okay between you and him?" Sarah toyed with the ring on her finger, "We're great, good as always." Suspicious thoughts started to form in my mind. "If you say so." I parked my car in front of the hospital as we both walked inside. "Dr. Violet, your new office is on the 3rd floor, you can go there." I smiled at Lisa, "Yeah sure." I hugged Sarah and departed as I took the elevator and went to the mentioned floor. I grabbed the keys from the sweeper and opened the door to be welcomed by the most attractive looking office I had ever seen, it looked straight out of Architectural Digest. As I was typing my presentation, I heard the landline ring, "Hello, Dr. Emery speaking?" The person on the other side chuckled, "Oh Violet, its me Astrid." I choked on air, "Dr. Astrid, how are you doing today?" 

"Fine dear, though the rejection of my offer has left me deeply sore." I gagged, "Uh, I'm sure that was not professional." Dr. Astrid sighed, "Who cares what's professional r not Violet, Reed's infatuated by you, just a little convincing..." Now I was fuming, "Can I help you with something else Dr. Astrid?" She chuckled, "You'll regret your decision for the upcoming days Violet, take my word on that." I gritted my teeth, "Oh I'm sure I won't, Reed means nothing to me and I'm sure you know that well enough." Dr. Astrid cackled, "Oh love, but that doesn't mean you mean nothing to him." With that, the line went dead. I was in a state of shock, what could she have meant by that? 

A few minutes later, I heard my phone ring, "Why's Mom calling me?" I picked it up, "Violet, oh god, Violet your Dad has been shot, we're bringing him to your hospital."