Chapter 42

Violet's POV

The night passed away in a blur as I slept as soon as I heard what Reed said, the words echoed in my ears, "But we can start somewhere, right?" It was the most flirtatious thing someone had ever said to me, because of the fact that I had built a wall around me to prevent other people from picking on me or taking me out. High school proms, dates and relationships were never really my thing, so I decided to dodge them off, taking compliments in the wrong way to diffuse the tension. "You can't really start something off without planning, it will be over before you know it." With that, I got off the sofa and went to my room, leaving Reed alone in the lounge. I heard the television turn on for about an hour or so then it was turned off because he went back to his room. How in the world was I going to face him again? It was a calm Saturday morning because the weather was almost rainy and the sky was grey, just the way I like New York City. I got up from bed and picked out my outfit which was plaid pants, white t-shirt and long black cardigan; my hair was tied up in a bun with fringes at the corner, I looked exceptional in casual, if I say so myself. Reed was sitting on the breakfast table with a newspaper in his hand as he scanned through every page, our eyes met for a brief moment before I averted my gaze as I reached up for the coffee mug placed on the top cabinet, "I wanted to talk to you about something Violet, its important." I almost choked on air, why does he always have to create an environment of suspense. "Yeah sure, go ahead." Reed folded the newspaper and placed it on the countertop, "There's a dinner hosted by Alexander, my work associate, he wanted me to invite you as well, that is if you're willing to go, I won't force you to go anymore." I smiled internally, at least he did learn his lesson, "I don't have anything special to do today so I'd rather attend the dinner." Reed smirked, "Is that the only reason?" I fake laughed, "Yeah sure Reed, I love to spend time with you." I rolled my eyes at the stupid statement Reed had made, why the hell would there be any other reason, right? "Well I am glad you decided to tag along, though I should warn you, Astrid Hensley will be there as well and Melanie too because Alexander is her cousin." I scoffed, "So you're basically telling me that I'm one of your hidden or forbidden love affairs, the one you're most ashamed of; actually, I just remembered, I'm a nobody to you." Reed's jaw twitched, "Why do you have to reach the wrong conclusions every time Violet, I know we're nobody but lets just pretend to be friends?" It was a huge leap and I was not ready to get my heart broken, "When will this contract end? Please just marry Melanie now." Reed sighed, "I know how you feel Violet, but I can't really help it, my parents will cut me off from the ancestry line, I have to obtain a certain amount of money despite the fact that I proposed to Melanie."

"If it wasn't for money, you'd leave me?" Now, I regretted asking that question, what if he got the wrong meaning out of it; believe me, I would be more than delighted to leave him. "Perhaps you're right, I wouldn't have anything at stake, nothing to lose." I shrugged, "Its funny what greed does to people, lying and killing themselves."

Reed's POV

You wouldn't know Violet, I am tired, tired of lying to you everyday about things that I should be honest about, at least to someone like you. These walls- I have learnt to embrace themselves and perhaps they're there for the best but brick by brick, they are tumbling down. I am trying hard to keep them up but its taking every inch of my fibre. I don't know if I like you yet but there's an undeniable feeling in my heart, somewhere deep down, it's there. The electric shocks when we touch, be it a mere caress, the intensity is far beyond what I feel when I hold Melanie. Your simplicity- like a newfound angel, lights up the whole room, alluring even the darkest of demons towards you. Even if we ever get together, I won't ever consider myself worthy of you, how will I be able to match you, ever? So I let the thought away, we can never be one because I have the person I need, Melanie. After a quick shower, I decided for a formal wear black long sleeve button up shirt and grey pants with expensive loafers and spritz of my favorite perfume, from an exclusive shop in London. After a few final touches, I was finally ready and when I stepped outside, my heart skipped a beat. Gorgeous was an understatement- Violet looked absolutely stunning in a white lace flowy dress that reached her knees and her hair were tied up in a bun that showed off her bangs and a few fringes. Violet was scrolling through her phone when I interrupted her, "We should get going, it's pretty late anyways." Violet sighed, "Yes please, let's get this done with." 

The car ride was silent but I decided to break it, "Just a heads up Melanie and Astrid will also be there, Alexander is their friend from the modeling agency." Her face was unreadable and there was not even a single expression of disgust, "I am glad that you gave your fiance some spotlight as well." I parked my car outside the open venue and got out, my heart kind of twisted in my chest, seeing how the other men opened the doors for their wives or girlfriends, does Violet dream of that? But would that be me overstepping my boundaries? We were greeted by our old friends, including Alexander and her fiance, Amelia. "Bro, its so good to see you, I never thought you'd come, and Violet, how are you? I didn't hear from you." A smile spread on her face, "You know work and shifts, it has been a hectic month for me." Alexander nodded his head in understanding, "I feel you, but hear me out, I prepared virgin cocktails for you, have fun and hey, learn to let loose for once." I sensed her uncomfortable posture but she did not let it show, "Hahaha you know me, by the book kind of person." We were seated at our respective tables when my eyes caught sight of Astrid eyeing me as she slowly sipped her vodka. Her red dress was purposely too short with a slit on the side, however, I was least bit impressed. In a matter of seconds, I felt a hand travel up my arm, in a very suggestive manner, "What are you doing here, alone?" I looked at Violet who was least bit bothered and had a polite smile on her face, "Dr. Astrid what a pleasure to see you here, you look stunning as usual." Astrid smirked, "I am so happy to see you here Violet, I never thought you'd come." Violet grinned, "Of course I'd come, Alexander is my friend, I would never miss this for the world." 

Then again, I heard her whisper in my ear, "Why don't we share a drink? Away from all the company?" I sighed in disbelief, "You have a boyfriend Astrid, Mark wouldn't be too pleased." Astrid rolled her eyes, "Mark can never be what you are, some people are blind enough to not see it."

"While some have dignity and don't want to throw themselves at others." She traced a finger along my jaw, in front of Violet who had left her seat for the bar. "You'll regret not choosing me Reed, believe me, its a decision you should have taken long ago." I huffed, "Please go away Astrid, what we had, the spark, its all gone- it was just lust and not love."