Chapter 34

Violet's POV

I was only a few hours away from going to the ball that Reed practically forced me to attend; it was an utter shame that I was not able to stand up for myself, the one thing that I always longed for, freedom. Reed had asked a movie costume designer to pick out an expensive dress that I was not in the mood to wear, why did everything have to go against me? There was a knock at the door, "Come in." A sleek woman walked inside who wore a black bodycon dress and expensive-looking heels, an amazing way to make a first impression. "Hello Dr. Violet, my name is Priscilla and I'll be your helper for the Annual Cancer Children Ball today, please allow me to guide you to the car." I needed time to register everything, "The car? May I ask why do I need to be taken to the car?" Priscilla waved her hand, "I am so sorry to startle you Doctor, but Mr. Reed Wilson has told me that you need to get ready and the dress is at the Balmain store in New York." No, never. I was not going to take this expensive dress, the money spent on buying this could easily be donated to the children who were not well-off or could not afford chemotherapy." I frowned, "Sorry Ms. Priscilla but I will not settle for such an opulent dress, the money from this attire could easily be given to the poor children instead of wasting it on me." I called Reed, "Hey Violet, is everything okay?" I was fuming at him, "No it's not Reed, I am not going to wear such an expensive dress for one-night whilst we could donate the money to charity by selling it." There was silence, "The contract-" I remembered Priscilla standing there, "Can you please wait outside Miss, I'll be out in a minute." She politely nodded her head and walked out. "The contract does not mention anything about me wearing expensive dresses, I won't buy anything new." Again, no noise. "Look Violet, I only wanted to help you because Melanie always spends a lot on dresses so I thought that maybe you'd also like an embelished gown, but if you have something better then feel most welcome to wear it." I called Priscilla in, "Um, so basically, I have another dress from Givenchy that was a gift from my Aunt, would you like to see if that's okay?" She grimaced, "Well, I'll see it Doctor but I don't know if it can beat the one my stylists bought." She was challenging me, "Well my Aunt's the owner of Primark Magazine, I doubt her intuition." A gasp escaped her lips, "No way, can I please see the dress?" It was hanging on one of the mannequins in my walk-in closet which was highly unncessary but I had to act like thw wife of a billionaire. "Oh my god! It's absolutely gorgeous! You must wear this." It was a navy blue full sleeves gown with sparkles and embelishments on the top as well as on the skirt. It was flowy and non-revealing, which meant that my greatest concern was covered. The heavy gown was carried down to the car whilst I left for the saloon. My hair was loosely curled and minimal makeup was applied, "Madam, we insist that you choose from this set of jewellery, it will be an honour for us if you do, you're too kind." I smiled, "Thank you so much for the compliment and I'll gladly choose from the collection." I picked out some classic diamond studs and a ring that matched the stones on my dress. My final look was absolutely ravishing, for a moment I could not recognize myself, "Is that you Violet?" A sense of disbelief crossed my face as I stared at the beauty before me, never did I think I had this much potential. "Ma'am, we're running late, please put on this mask, Mr. Reed is waiting for you at the venue. I quickly slipped on the mask and headed towards the limosuine that was waiting for me, "Classic Reed." We were stuck in traffic for a bit but we finally reached the Hyatt Hotel, celebrities cascaded the entire entrance, with paparazzi taking all their pictures. One of the chauffeurs opened the door and I stepped out, the photographers literally climbed on top of my security team which my parents had employed since I told them that I would be attending this gala. "Please Dr. Violet, do you have any new contributions towards brain cancer?" The medical journalists all had interesting questions and I really wanted to answer each and everyone of them but time was not in my hand. I finally entered the grand venue as I was enveloped in handshakes and all the well-known doctors greeted me. "You look stunning Violet dear, how are your parents?" one of my senior colleagues, Patricia inquired. "They're doing fine Dr. Patricia, I'm so happy to see you here as a guest." I had to end our conversation as I needed to look for Reed because behind all these masks, I could identify nobody. I kept walking around the ballroom cluelessly, denying champagne upon champagne as the waiters kept approaching me. "Are you looking for somebody dear?" an old woman who was dressed immaculately asked. "Yes actually, my husband." My breath hitched, he could never be one of those things. "You know, behind all these masks, look in the eyes, when you see the adoration, you know you've found the love of your life." With that, she walked away into the crowd, leaving me far more confused. The crowd was starting to form pairs as the song started to get slow, now is not the time to be left alone. "Are you looking for me?" I turned around to see Reed, looking gorgeous, who was now looking at me. "Now was not the time to bail out on me Reed."