Chapter 35

First of all, Eid Mubarak to all my Muslim sisters and brothers from all across the globe, may Allah SWT shower you with his blessings and utmost decree of mercy. Thank you to all my fans, regardless of what your religion is, for making this story reach 3K views, you all are the greatest readers anyone could ask for. Stay safe and healthy. I made this chapter a little romantic, the best to my ability, the realistic dreaminess. Enjoy:)

Violet's POV

As everyone started to form pairs, my heart accelerated, no chance in hell would I dance with Reed, an awkward phase started to settle between us. Fate and the heavens were not in my favor tonight; neither did I attend prom in high school because I was so shy of everything my parents had told me about harassment and the way boys dump girls when they get everything they want from them. At that age, naivety got the best of me and I never got to know what they wanted from girls but now, everything was starting to fit like a puzzle piece because of everything I saw as a doctor; rape victims, sexual assault and trauma after being trapped in an unsafe working environment, above all marital rape. A chill travelled down my spine. "Hey Violet, I know what you're thinking, we can head home..." I don't know what got into me but I said the most unexpected thing, the one sentence you could never expect Violet Emery Carlot say in this situation." 

"It's okay, let's dance, we cannot ditch the party when literally all eyes are on us."

A wave of happiness crossed his face but that was for a split second, then it passed away. We walked where all the crowd was staring into each other's eyes, adoration was evident in their actions, the way they held each other, pure innocence. We had to take 5 minutes to figure out how we had to hold each other, I visibly cringed. The safest way was the usual waltz holding, which was uncomfortable at first but then I got the hang of how we were going to be about this. "I fail to understand the pompousness of everybody here, it's too much to take in all at once, is every businessman like this?" He heaved a sigh, "Money, wealth and too much love for worldly desires, this is the truth Violet, albeit the entire harshness of the situation." There was meaningful silence between us as we swayed to the music. "Were you always introduced to dancing and this kind of lifestyle as a child?"

I did not want to pry into his personal life because there were certain boundaries we both had to maintain otherwise there could be a clash of opinions, differences, lives, meanings and emotions. "Being the only child, I always had this aristocratic lifestyle, but my parents never taught me a musical instrument like you but they instilled in me values like dressing, good education and business, what about you?" The question crossed my chest like an arrow but I nevertheless had to answer it, "My life was never rainbows and butterflies, there were certain restrictions that were put on me, mostly about grades and the opposite gender but now what's happening around the globe, like harassment and everything, I really don't blame them." The music was picking up pace so everyone was enjoying this fast paced rhythm, to my surprise, Reed twirled me around like we were two swans in our own rhythm, "Not much of a risk-taker are you?" I hummed before he twirled me around another time, "I never do anything against my rule book, call me childish." Everybody started to clear away from the floor as we both were clearly taking the spotlight, to my dismay. "What about falling in love?" My heart stilled, I wanted to puke, this dance was not as pleasing as it was before, now it was an obligation I had to fulfill, knowing the fact that this was not the topic my very own existence was not comfortable discussing. "Commitment is not one of my speciality, I feel that-" Reed came closer to my ear, maintaining the distance between us touching, "We're giving everybody the impression that we don't have, let's take this somewhere else." I literally saw some girls who were looking at Reed with devilish eyes, it was not difficult to understand what they wanted, believe me when I saw every girl, even the married ones. Only if they knew about the distressing circumstances I was trapped in. He led me to the balcony that overlooked the entire city, with twinkling and glimmering lights like golden dots spread on a black canvas, it felt like an artist had taken his time creating the scene in front of our eyes. "Did I mention how beautiful you look?" I was flustered, what had gotten into Reed Wilson. "Is everything okay with you Reed?" He laughed heartily, "I was doing what every gentleman should do when he sees a girl." I sighed, "Not every gentleman has sincere motives behind his words." Reed shifted his gaze uncomfortably, "Yes perhaps you're right." I remembered Melanie, "I really do wish that you and Melanie were here under different circumstances, better circumstances without me in between." 

"Me and Melanie will have better days in the future but it's right now that matters, I'm here with you as a friend." I laughed at his remark as I craned my neck to look over my shoulder at the city, "I can sense the love from hundred miles away." He looked at me expectantly, "Lets go home now, we both have work on Monday tomorrow." After our final goodbyes from some guests, we headed back home, with Charles driving the car. We opened our apartment door and I breathed a sigh of relief as I came back in his sanctuary. "Violet, I wanted to talk to you about something." God, what does the devil want now? "Yeah sure."

"So me and Melanie are buying a mansion soon, so basically you can stay in this apartment after we're gone, I'm guessing in about 3 months." Another chance at being lonely, "Yeah, it's okay." We both stared at each other awkwardly. "Congratulations to you both." I reached for the knot of the mask on the back of my hair but Reed undid it before me. We both stared at each other before we parted our ways, like we always do.