Chapter 40

Violet's POV

The phone fell from my hands and hit the floor, as my whole body was shaking from the intensity of the news that my Mother had shared with me. "Hello! Hello! Violet dear, are you there?" Her voice echoed throughout the room as I could hear ambulance sirens blare through the speakers. I was rotted to my spot, frozen. Various thoughts circled my head for some time, how was Father, would he be alright and who did this? Then, panic gripped my insides as I sprinted outside of my office, bumping through people and coursing through the corridor with all my strength. I hit the elevator button 5 times, waiting for it to come. "Oh god! Whatever the fuck is happening with me!" I groaned and was on the verge of crying, a flurry of emotions was flowing within my veins. The elevator finally reached my floor and I hurriedly entered it, to my dismay, Astrid was calling me. At this point, I would beat the hell out of anyone, be it the Chief of Medicine, why did she have to be this demanding? "Dear Violet, I heard your Father is admitted in the ICU, I am so sorry for what happened." It took me a whole lot of confidence to be calm, "Yes Dr. Astrid, I'll be going to perform the surgery now." I gritted my teeth, taking deep breaths. "Don't let emotions overcloud your judgement Violet, I know how you're feeling but keep that in mind." I sighed, "I'll keep that in mind Dr." When the lift opened, I saw my Mother sobbing with a bunch of our bodyguards keeping the parameter safe, "Mom!" I hugged her super tight, keeping the tears at bay as they stringed the corner of my eyes, "It's going to be alright Mom, I promise you it will be." She patted my cheek affectionately, "I trust my daughter, I know you'll bring back your Father." I changed into my OT kit and did all the necessary steps to go in the room before I could operate on him, what did I ever do to see this day? Performing surgery on my Father.

A few steps away, I would see the person who gave me everything I have today, lying motionless, helpless. Just the thought, shook me to the core.

When I entered the operation room, a bunch of other junior doctors, including Sarah were standing there, a laboured breath escaped my lips as Sarah passed me a sympathetic glance. "Lets begin now." The bullet had only penetrated inside his shoulder bone and there were chances of a serious head injury, which caused him to lose consciousness. It was a head-spinning procedure and I hadn't eaten anything for a long time, so I was fatigued from the stress around me. "Scalpel please," I requested. As I cut open his shoulder flesh, puke rose from my stomach and I seriously wanted to start crying, as my heart thumped in my chest. Sarah patted me on my back, "Its okay." I smiled through my mask, pure agony behind the joy that had appeared on my face for a moment.

Finally, the surgery was over, with my Father surviving and being taken to his normal hospital room. I took off my gloves and mask as if they were poisonous and would eat me up alive. Father's blood was fresh on my scrubs so I decided to change into a fresh pair and came outside to see a wave of relief wash over her face as Sarah relayed the good news to her. "Thank God, I knew Violet and all of you would be able to do it." Surprisingly, Reed was standing there too, constantly, checking his watch and then pacing around the corridor, as if his time was being wasted here. "Violet, there you are, sweetheart, I am so happy, oh lord, you can't believe-" Reed interrupted, "Mrs. Carlot, I would like to have a word with Violet, if you don't mind?" Mother smiled, "Of course Reed, I'll be in my husband's room if you need anything." With that, she walked away, her frail body going away from my view. "I never thought you'd come," I whispered. Reed rolled his eyes, "I had no choice Violet, you don't know the danger you've got yourself in." I chuckled, "Please enlighten me."

"Why does everything seem to be a joke to you? I'm afraid this can result in your death too." I sighed, supporting my body with the bleached wall, "Its better to die than to survive four years with you." Reed gritted his teeth, "I know you hate to be with me, but this is important." I stared into his eyes, "Why does everything leading to my downfall, have to be important to you?" Reed came closer, "Listen carefully, this is all Astrid's planning- she's been funding a private security agency called The Alpha, to target your business and me as well." There was a blank expression on my face, it took me a while to comprehend everything that was being told to me, "You think I'd believe that-" A sudden wave of fatigue washed over me as I was about to fall down, but Reed grabbed my arm, "Easy Violet, sit down." He guided me to the waiting chair as he knelt down beside me, "This is the truth Violet, believe it or not." I took a moment to contemplate everything, "I still don't, just go Reed, don't make it any hard for me." With that, I walked away, from the mess of a life I had.

Reed's POV

Violet would never believe me, just as I had suspected because of her blind trusting personality, things could be difficult for the both of us. But I trusted her, just a little reasoning would be enough because she was intelligent enough to comprehend whatever I was implying. The moment Mr. Carlot was shot, my security agency had called me, saying that it was the work of the infamous Alpha Agency that dealt with Astrid's family business. As I was about to go back home, I felt a hand grip mine, though it felt oddly familiar. The scent- intoxicating, alluring and seductive. A new gush of memories flowed in my mind, of moments that I desperately wanted to forget. "Reed." A slow whisper reached my ear, the same voice- it was Astrid. "Astrid Hensley, what a pleasure to meet you again." I turned back towards her, a grim smile on her face, I freed my hand from her grip. "I never thought I'd meet you again, let alone imagine you remembering me." I gritted my teeth, "Why did you do this to Mr. Carlot?" She smirked, "What makes you think I did this?" I played the same card on her, grabbing a strand of her hair and twirling it around my finger, "Oh, you know, I can only think of one such clever mind." Astrid breathed slowly, "Is that so?"

"I know you funded the Alpha Agency, but why?" She groaned, "Because I want to be with you Reed, why does Violet have you, she doesn't even love you, she should be dragged out of the path-" I shushed her, "Don't you dare hurt Violet, she's already been through too much." Astrid smirked, "I knew you liked her; soon enough Reed, you'll be mine or the whole press can have the entire story about your affairs with Melanie and sell it to the dogs." How did she know? With that, she walked away, sparing me no glance. With that Violet looked at me disapprovingly, hurt in her eyes.
Trust me Violet, please for once. I care about you, believe it or not, I do and I'll never be able to forgive myself if you get trapped in this mess.