Chapter 4

Violet's POV
I sat in the coffee shop, my vision was blurry from crying all the time yesterday, I would often come here to escape reality, to be free from all of the torment in my life. Inhaling the scent of coffee, I was brought back to my senses, there was almost something laborious about today, each of my breath was coming in slow pants and it hurt me. My supposed wedding was only a few weeks away, the venue was Venice, Italy. The Wilsons wanted a destination wedding to make the media swoon over all of the expenditure. I wanted a simple wedding, a few close people, the hall decorated immaculately with flowers and golden candles, an outdoor dinner and slow dancing to John Legend's songs. I mean, there is some elegance in simplicity. Not in my 26 years of living would I have imagined a wedding, but I did watch romance comedies. I was shaken to reality when I received a phone call, "Dr. Violet, your shift starts in 45 minutes, please report to the hospital." I got up from my chair, "Yes Patricia, I know." I went outside and drove away to my hospital. After entering, I talked to a few attending and started my round since I wasn't exactly paged to do anything. I helped a few interns until my pager buzzed. "Well, at least someone needs me." I walked to room 202 where an elderly woman lay on the bed, her eyes closed. I gently shut the door behind me. "Good morning Ma'am, how are you, my name is Dr. Violet and I'll be seeing you today." She fluttered her eyes open and smiled at me. "Why thank you, I am good, how are you?" I grinned at her in response, "I am great, can I please check your vitals?" She nodded her head and I checked her BP as well as reflexes. "Can I ask you something?" I nodded my head. "You seem tired and worn out, is everything okay?" I heaved a sigh. "By the way, call me Joanna." I had a solemn expression on my face, "Just family issues." She shook her head in understanding. I remembered yesterday, how I was engaged to a man I had never met. "I see that you're engaged, congratulations." My heart skipped a beat, how could I tell the world that this was nothing but a scam, a liability in church. "Thank-thank you." I tried hard to keep my breath steady. "Are you happy with this engagement?" the woman questioned. Now, it really hurt to keep the sadness in. "Yeah, I'm...I'm engaged to the love... a very good person." She observed me carefully, "But do you love him?" There, it was my breaking point. "I'll call Dr. Amna in to check on you, I have a surgery rotation now, it was so nice to meet you Joanna," I almost whispered. "I'm sorry if I triggered you?" I smiled, "It's okay, thank you so much for your time Joanna." I walked away towards the surgery area and after my duty, I walked outside, it was dark but I was accustomed to staying out this late. The drive home was excruciatingly difficult, I could barely drive properly. I parked my car in the porch and went inside. Mom and Dad were sitting on the dinning table, already eating. "Welcome home sweetie!" Dad exclaimed. I smiled in response. "Thank you Dad!" We both had dinner and talked about how each of our days was. "Do you remember when you graduated college, and accidentally wore your cap wrong literally half of the ceremony." I laughed shaking my head. Good memories, were they anywhere near me. "So love, tomorrow we have an appointment at Givenchy for your wedding dress, please make sure you're free at 11." I chocked on my water, Givenchy! "Mom, it's such an expensive brand, why are you doing all of this for a temporary marriage?"
"Love, you have to look good for the pictures." Then I remembered, all of this was a show.