Chapter 18

Violet's POV
We were sitting on the breakfast table, there was an awkward silence around us, I couldn't bear the uncomfortable situation I was trapped in. It was an interminable cycle of breaking each other and fixing the broken pieces, "How are you feeling today Violet?" I looked up at Reed who was staring at me, "I'm good, what about you?" He just shrugged his shoulders, "I've seen better days but yeah, it's been a hell of a ride this past week with Melanie." I stopped twiddling with my fork, my face turned serious, "Is it...is it about me?" He raked his hand through his hair, "No, not really but we've been spending little or no time together which irks her but I've been trying to get through to her." I smiled, "I know what you can do to make her happy." He smirked, "The look on your face tells me that it's something serious." I shrugged, "It's something that she'll like, being a friend, I'll help you out." I got up from my chair, "So Violet, I need to tell you something, there's a gala we have to attend tonight, I'll cancel if you want." I put the dishes in the dishwasher, "You should probably cancel it, we don't have that couple thing going on anyway." He nodded, "I understand that you're not comfortable, what about the Melanie thing?" I picked up my phone, "I'll organise a romantic dinner for you both at Hilton overlooking Central Park and Empire State Building, does it sound good?" He grinned, "You'd seriously do that for me? I mean-I mean..." I laughed, "Of course, I have to attend a seminar in that hotel anyway so I can book the balcony for you two." He had a broad grin on his face, "Thank you so much, it really means a lot, thank you." It was nice to be appreciated for once, "No problem." I called Sam, the hotel manager who was my Dad's friend, "Hey Sam, so I need you to book the Hilton balcony for a...friend so can you do it for tonight?" There was silence on the other side, "Doll, what's up with you doing things for your friends, can I do it for you?" My heart went flat-line, "No...no...never say that again Sam, I need it for a friend and no staff member's allowed there as well as no paparazzi, all preparations including wine should already be placed there including buffet food for two." He chuckled, "Is he the President of America?" I chuckled, "Close, he's quite elite." He hummed, "I've had my fair share of elite people." I parked outside my hospital and entered inside, "Hi Violet, how's everything for you?" I smiled at Lisa, my receptionist who was really cheerful. "Everything's okay but it could have been better, what's up with you?" She showed me her hand with a ring on it, I beamed at it. "Wow! Congrats Liz, I am so happy for you." Then I stared at my hand, which did not have any ring on it, "Where's your ring Violet?" Panic took hold of me, "Uh, I forgot it at home, I'll see you later." I entered my office to get a call from Sam, "Doll, what time should the booking be?" I thought about his schedule, 'I think 8 works for them." I heard scribbling on the other line, "Should there be any special arrangements made for the area like rose petals or lights?" I was not an aesthete, "Just make it expensive and romantic." He wrote it on paper, "I know where expensive and romantic leads to." I chuckled, "You know me, I don't know shit about decorations, I'll send you the money." I checked my pager, "Back to being a doctor." After operating on a skydiver who broke her spine which was heart-wrenching since she might not be able to walk again. "Lisa, I need you to console the patient when she wakes up, this can be difficult to understand." She nodded in understanding, "Alright I know what to do." I then texted Reed about the details and he replied with a thumbs up emoji which was quite weird.
After my shift ended, I drove home and Reed sent me a picture of the arrangements, my heart smiled and there was pure joy inside of me. At 10, I heard Reed and Melanie laughing and entering the apartment, "Oh babe, I love you so much, thank you and I love the ring!" My heart wrenched, a ring!