Chapter 45

Violet's POV

How in the world? What was Troye doing here? "Troye? It's been ages, wow. How have you been since med school?" 3 years to be exact- Troye used to be my classmate at Harvard and we both constantly competed against each other, me winning most of the time. Not only that, our families were partners in a Qatar Oil Deal which made the rivalry spark off further but over time, we lost contact. It felt good, seeing someone who you used to despise but at this very moment, any old relation would be enough to make me joyous. "Yeah it has been, enough to make you the Chief of Neurosurgery." I chuckled, "Still the same." Troye scratched the back of his neck, "I gave it a lot of thought, medical school rivalries really don't make sense, we both were dumb and naive, it is the present that matters now." He heaved a sigh, resting his body on the opposite wall to me. I was never the kind of person to compliment someone's features as I considered them superficial but Troye could easily classify as a model or someone straight out of a Grey's Anatomy episode. "So what brings you here? I thought you worked downtown." He shrugged, "I was invited to attend a cardiology conference here, had no idea I'd run into you." I shook my head, "Well, well, how turntables." We shared a light moment, "I'm kinda lost here, can you show me the way to the conference room." I grinned, "Wow Troye James asking Violet for help, must be a special day." Troye rolled his eyes playfully, "Come on Violet, it's been too long, plus I at to know how's everything going in your life?" I choked on air, "My... life?" He shrugged, "Yeah, we're both doctors, can we not have a conversation?" 

"Yeah of course, come on let me show you the way." The whole journey was extremely quiet until he decided to break it, "Nothing has changed for me really, what about you?" I waved my hand as if to show I did not care, "Not much for me either, I haven't been in contact with anyone since I graduated due to my MBA and training." Troye spoke under his breath, "You're still the same." I stopped in my tracks, "In a good or bad way?" A playful smile passed my lips, "So I'm guessing you're still single, that should become your motto, Beyonce would be proud." I laughed, "Same old me." But then a vision of my marriage and Reed passed my mind, as I froze in my spot. "Violet, are you okay? Did I say something wrong?" But then it passed away quickly, "Yeah I'm fine and no, no you didn't, what about you?" Troye sighed, "I dated a girl named Ella a few months ago but things didn't turn out well for us, yeah. That's about it for me." I grimaced, "That's fine, don't let a girl mess with your head." What I heard seemed like my ears were ringing but it seemed too real to be false, "What if there's one messing with my head right now?" I stopped in my tracks, "Did you say something?" 

"No nothing, let's go, I don't want to be late now." As we both stood in front of the hall, Troye said something I never expected him to say, "I don't know if we're going to meet again so I just want to say that meeting you was the best thing that happened today." 

"Aww thank you Troye, same. But I hope we'll meet soon." A smile played upon his lips, "I hope so too, soon." As soon as I was about to walk away, "Hey Violet, do you wanna go for coffee after this?" I chuckled, "Coffee now? I just got to work." He shrugged, a playful smirk on his face, "That's the least you owe me for topping med school." I rolled my eyes, "Impossible."

"So should I take it as a yes or no?" 

"I'll think about it in my office." 

"Why are you so indecisive Violet?"

"I don't know Troye, times change."

Troye had changed so much- the last time I saw him, he couldn't get over the fact who topped a test but now he had this caring side but it could all be a facade, honestly. at this point I don't trust anybody, be it the person who I studied with for 5 years and the senior year of my high school. But 3 years was enough of a time to forget everything, people, connections, the meaning of life and friends. It had been a week since I hadn't talked to Sarah, I wondered how she was doing and I desperately needed to be with her as she had stayed with me in my difficult times as well as the good times. Before lunch time, I only had a few patients who needed consultation for a neurosurgery which was honestly not an important part of my day as it was the least consuming and easy. When I was going through a patient's report, I heard a soft knock on the door, "Come in." It was a nurse who looked quite nervous, "Is everything okay?" She kept twiddling with her fingers, "Um, Mr. Troye was looking for you, most doctors get angry when you disturb them, I-I thought the same for you." I smiled, "No its okay, you can send him in, my schedule isn't that heavy right now." After a few moments, Troye walked in, sporting a smug demeanour. "I'm glad that worked." I looked confused, "What worked?" He smirked, "Flirting with her." I gasped, "Flirting, where did you learn that?"

"Some things you learn from time, from experience." Was he a playboy too? Honestly, everyone around me had changed, the people you least expected to be what they could be, they turned into exactly what you dreaded for them. "You'd seriously think I'd do that?"

"Honestly, at this point I can expect anything." He looked concerned, "What's wrong? Did someone do something to you?" I huffed, "We have a lot to catch up on." After a quick chat, we headed for coffee at an unnecessarily expensive cafe but I couldn't convince him for anything else. I won't lie, the view was amazing and I really felt like he had put effort into deciding this place.

"So let's start fresh, what did you do the first thing after med school?" I asked. "I wanted to learn an instrument so I decided to take piano classes for three months, after that it was work and work." I laughed, "Three months? It took me a month to learn the guitar but anyways we should jam sometime." Troye sighed, "I missed all the people from med school, it was like there was a reset button pressed on me." 

"Honestly, all doctors say that." An awkward silence settled in between us, "I can't believe you stayed single for so long, its impossible to stay without someone for so long, especially in this world." 

"I-um questioned my sexuality for sometime, I was stuck between being straight or asexual but it doesn't matter now." I waved my hand as I took a sip of my coffee, "No seriously, I want to know more." I eyed him curiously, "Nobody really cared about this subject for me." Troye became serious, "I do, please tell me."

"You know that phase when you feel like physical relations are useless and all that PDA shit isn't for you, I kind of felt that but its over now, I like to identify as straight now, more than ever." The last line was alarming to Troye, "Why?" 

Then I dropped the bomb, "I'm married Troye." An undecipherable expression settled on his face, was it the fact that it was all so unexpected. "How? And to whom?"