Chapter 24

Violet's POV

"So tell me, what do you think about marriage, should I make a bee-line towards engagement to my boyfriend." Sarah was always indulged in her wedding talks, but for me, I had lost hope in everything that had to do with love, I half-heartedly listened to her rant and kept flipping through the pages of a patient's report. "Hey Violet, are you even listening to me?" I was suddenly brought back to reality, "Yeah definitely." She rolled her eyes, "You were so not listening to me, anyways, how's Reed doing?" Reed, my husband, the most faithful one planet Earth had ever seen. He always considered my naivety a bonus point, although, I knew that expecting anything more from him would be utter disappointment because for him, reminding me that this was a contract marriage, is a daily ritual. "He's in France with his fiance, Melanie, they said they'd be back in a week or so." Sarah gawked at me, but I was indifferent to her reaction. "What are you doing Violet, you are not dumb, please, listen to me, you need to find a way out of this marriage!" Like hell, I was trying but nothing came in handy, it was like fate was going against me and my everyday decisions. "My parents Sarah, my parents." That wouldn't be such an excuse now because from the past week, we had barely talked and our video calls were almost minimal. "Anyways Sarah, I have to get to my parent's house in time for dinner, I am staying with them for a week." We both briefly hugged for sometime then it was my queue to leave the hospital building.

The cold air kissed my cheeks, it almost burnt like acid, as the dew slowly settled on my skin. My brain cascaded into a flurry of emotions and I was taken down into memory lane, the time when everything was so perfect that asking for something new felt like I was being ungrateful for the things God had already bestowed in my life. The toys, memories, pure moments; when the cruel world was unknown to me, I was never the romantic type in my teenage years, although they ended only six years ago. The drive home was slow and languorous, when I saw the doors of my parent's mansion that had bittersweet memories in it, my heart drowned in the silent grief. The house that once resonated with positive energy gave off empty vibes, like it missed something, nothing, nothing would be able to bring back the same joy that it had before jealousy came into this convoluted picture. I parked my car in the porch and saw our guard Amancio sitting on his usual chair, snoring. Suddenly, he jolted and got up from his short-lived slumber. "Madam Violet, it's such a pleasure to see you, please do come in, Mr. and Mrs. Emery were expecting your presence." The dinner table was immaculately set to present an array of dishes, all of them my favorites. But my parents were nowhere to be seen. I slowly walked to our lounge where they set, watching CNN on the television, almost as if they were old and grim. "Mom! Dad! I missed you both so much!" They turned towards me in joy, their expression was covered in pure tenderness. 

"My child, we missed you so very much, I'm so sorry that I didn't call you, I was drowned in work and business," Father advocated his case. I shook my head, "It's okay Dad, I love you and nothing in this world will ever be able to change that." Pride shone in their eyes, "We have the most beautiful and sensible daughter in this whole wide world, you make us proud with the work you do everyday." 

After dinner, I sat in my room, assembling all the things that needed to be taken care of, that included a presentation and some medical notes for the critical patients. As I was about to turn off all my appliances and meditate, my phone rang on the dresser. I checked the caller ID, to my surprise, it was Reed. How did he remember me? I quickly accepted his call, "Hello?" There was silence on the other line, "Violet, how are you doing, I reached France safely and everything's going safely here." I could not care less about anyone now, let alone about how Reed felt. "I'm glad to hear that." Again, silence. "How are you holding up Violet?" I sighed, "I'm at my parent's house, don't worry, I locked the apartment." He would be disappointed but that never irked me because these things could hurt anyone, let alone a workaholic who say grief like seasons on a daily basis. "Do you want me to bring anything for you from France?" 

"Can you get me a divorce?"