Chapter 26- What the hell was that?

"What the hell was that?" Spencer shrugged Cami off his arm.

"What?" Cami innocently batted her eyelashes.

"Why are you here? How are you here? I didn't tell you where I was."

"That's easy. I asked Penelope." Cami's fingers lingered on Spencer chest.

"Why?" Spencer tried not to shout, but he was infuriated.

"I wanted to talk about us." Her fingers tugged at his bow tie.

"Cami," Spencer sighed. "There is no us. There never was. What don't you understand about that? Why are you making this so difficult? How else do you want me to spell it out to you. I don't love you." Spencer pushed Cami's hands away.

"You've found a new muse, have you?" Cami taunted.

"That is none of your business. But no, I haven't found a new muse. Also, you were never a muse. We just went out a few times. It didn't work out. That happens."

"Whatever." Cami rolls her eyes, behaving like a child.

"Cami is it so hard for you to believe that someone just might not be into you. I know strange concept, right?"

"You don't know what you're missing," she leered, stepping closer to Spencer. He immediately stepped back. "What is it about her?" Cami deliberately pondered out loud. "Do you think she is prettier? Is she smarter? Maybe it's because she is British. Or maybe it's just convenience. She's here. I'm not. It's much easier to cross the street and hook up with her than it is to fly to Virginia. What is it Spencie? Does she let you have your way with her?"

"Stop it Cami. Just leave." Spencer clenched his fists. His nails dug into his palms.

"Make me?" She teased.

"You know what. I'm not entertaining this." Spencer composed himself, relaxing his hands. He pulled on his jacket and turned to look at Gia's building. Within moments he had made his decision. He bolted up the steps to the apartment building, leaving Cami alone on the street.

Inside the building, Spencer paused at the bottom of the stairs, realising he didn't know which apartment was Gia's. He deliberated and decided to take an educated guess. He knew from the time that had elapsed when the lady had exited the SUV and returned with the group that she must reside on one of the top floors. He also knew that the group was all living together so she must live in one of the bigger apartments. That ruled out the East Wing. After that he decided to knock on apartment doors until he found the right one.

Luckily, he only had to be disheartened by three apartments. Once he knocked on the fourth door he instantly melted in relief, recognising the figure opening the door.

"Spencer?"

"Hi Gia. Yeah. Sorry to intrude at such a late hour."

"No, it's okay. Is everything alright?"

"Yes."

"How did you find out which apartment I was in?"

"Would you believe me if I said I knocked on doors hoping you would be behind one of them." He smiled sheepishly.

In response Gia's head tilted, "Why would you do that?"

"Cami is not my girlfriend."

"Okay," Gia replied slowly. She wasn't completely sure how to take this.

"What I mean to say is. Her behaviour was strange downstairs, but we aren't together. She just can't seem to grasp it."

"Spencer, why are you telling me this?" Gia interrupted his rambling, her voice calm and composed.

"I don't know. I just felt like I should." The words desperately flooded out of his mouth.

A bell chimed form inside the apartment. Gia sighed, "Do you want to come in?"

Spencer nodded a little quicker than he probably should have in retrospect. Gia opened the door wider, creating breadth for Spencer to enter.

Inside the apartment no other soul was too be seen. Spencer followed Gia down the short hallway, that opened up into a large open room that had been sectioned into a kitchen, dining room and lounge. The room was dimly lit my candles and lamps.

He continued to follow Gia, who walked to the kitchen.

"I'm making hot chocolate. Would you like some?" She asked spencer as fiddled with the machine that was making a noise.

"Sure."

Gia didn't say another word and turned away from the kitchen island and went to grab some mugs from a cupboard. Spencer watched from the opposite side of the island, thinking of what words to say next. Spencer's eyes dragged over her body that was no longer in the dress from earlier, but instead in a baby pink silk shirt and the matching pyjama shorts.

Spencer cleared his throat. "Where is everyone?"

"Knocked out," she replied, jerking her head to what Spencer assumed was the hallway to the bedrooms.

She slid a mug of hot chocolate and whipped cream over to him. "Thank you."

"Do you want to sit on the couch?"

Spencer nodded his reply as he sipped the drink.

Settling down on opposite sides of the couch spencer broke the silence. "Can't sleep?"

"Go it one," she laughed.

"How long is left on this tour?"

"Not too long. After thanksgiving we are splitting time between Harvard and MIT. Then when the Christmas holiday start we are headed to Caltech basically until the new year. After that the plans aren't exactly set in stone."

"Gia." Spencer spoke.

"Yeah."

"I wanted to clear things up about Cami because I wanted to tell you."

Once they got talking the awkwardness created by Cami vanished instantly.