Two

I am a father

I looked at the body. Yes, all she was now is a body. Daphne was gone. She isn't going to come back. Not for anyone. Now all I have is this emptiness inside me. "I am sorry Mr. Night but she died on the operating table." Daphne died because she tried to save a sorry excuse that is me. Now, I am feeling sorry for myself. I don't know what is sadder, the fact that I let her die this way, or the fact that I am the one responsible for all of it.

Ezra was shocked. He wasn't expecting this. I told him to take Violet to Myra as I wanted to be alone for few hours. I needed to see the funeral arrangement. As my brother is MIA throughout it. He didn't bother to contact me about Daphne even after I left him, I don't know how many voice mails. He didn't bother to contact the hospital either to know that the one he loved lived or died.

Sometimes I think he didn't care at all about all this. He just wished to score her from me. Now that purpose was done, she no longer mattered in his life. He didn't care until she was his wife what else happened to her. He didn't care at all. I walked out of the hospital dialing his number again. It was out of reach. So, I left another voice mail to him about his wife. Now, no longer living.

Then I looked at the address she had given me. My son, I had a son whom I knew nothing about. Then why Daphne hid him from me all these years? Why she never told me that she was pregnant with my kid? And why she hid him from my brother? I know when it must have happened. It must be before the wedding. Then how did she managed to hide her pregnancy from him? It was all a mystery to me.

But as he has no one around, I have to go and take care of him. I am his father and I know what it can be like growing up in an orphanage or Foster care. I called Ezra and he picked it up after few rings. "Olyphant" He sounded so angry. "Ezra," I answered. "Lucian, are you done?" He asked. "yes, the funeral would be at noon tomorrow." I told him. "How is Violet?" I asked. "Silent as usual. And Myra is disappointed as she isn't eating anything. Yet again, you are not here for her." He accused me.

"Ezra, the mother of my child just died. And you are expecting me to be with the reason for whom this all happened. I need to go and pick my son up." I told him. "A son, she told you about when she was dying, why not before?" He asked. I know it sounds quite obvious; she hid it on purpose. So that she can use it for her own benefit later. But what if she was only protecting him? From my brother?

"I don't know ok? I don't, please don't ask me." I told him. "All I know is there is a child alone somewhere who doesn't know that his mother is no more. I have to take care of him because that was what I promised to her on her death bed." Ezra said nothing for a while now and then he asked "What about this woman Lucian who still thinks that you are going to support her throughout this? She is not alright, she needs you, Lucian. What if something happens to her when you are not here?"

"You all are there; I need to go Ezra. Please understand, for me, a promise is a promise and I am not going to fail her. Not again." With that said I cut the call and walked towards my car. I saw the address once again. It is an orphanage now far out of town. I can reach there and take him and then still make it back to Violet. I may still untrustworthy of her but my heart still loves her very much.

I drove towards the orphanage. I don't even know what he looks like. And I missed all of his firsts. How can I become a father when I know nothing about him at all? How can I? I stopped at a toy store. What kind of toys I can give a four- five-year-old? And that made me chuckle. I don't even know his age. I know nothing about him. Why Daphne? Why you didn't tell me before? You should have then maybe I would have sitting here with my son and you.

I looked at the collection confused. The shop attendant came over. "may I help you, sir?" She asked. "Yes, what can I gift a four-year-old?" I asked. "sure sir, let me help, you look like you could use some." I can use help over a crash course of how to become a father too. But I don't have that privilege. The one who can teach me is still not over that I am a child and I have children Phase.