Thirty

Too Close to home

The wedding was near. I wanted her to cherish those moments. And Greece is a good place to settle. Especially when I do not know the one who is after her. I need to know. But I am afraid that I might offend her even if I tried to start on this topic. But I got to know and for it, I might need to find someone who can tell me exactly what is wrong with my wife.

She is being paranoid a lot. I started to notice things after that phone call. She always looks over her shoulder. And double-check the doors and window locks. Sometimes she walked to our kids' room and stood there all night. She thinks I know nothing of it. She thinks I am unaware of all of her sleepless nights. But she cannot be more wrong than this.

I saw her going through the files again. Even here she is the one carrying out the burden of being the wife of a business tycoon. She works for me so that I can have my rest. And then she takes care of me instead of me taking care of her. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't I be the one to take care of her? She is in the last stage of her pregnancy. And I am the one who should be relieving her of the stress.

I walked towards her with a bowl of her favorite Greek yogurt and blueberries. She was looking at the laptop with a little too much concentration. I put the bowl down and slowly started to massage her shoulders. "Feels good?" I asked her. "Better than before. Why aren't you in bed resting? We need you in full strength for tomorrow." I smiled at that. "Why can't get enough of me? or is it because you didn't have any of me for a while, Mrs. Night?"

"Shut up" She hit me on the shoulder and blushed hard. "Am I asking the wrong questions? Or is it because I always ask the right questions? Which one is it?" I asked placing my hand over her legs. I pulled her into my lap and she looked at me with a smiling face. "Lucian, I have work to do. I have to complete these balance sheets and..."

I already have seen that it wasn't the balance sheets you were looking at. It was something else. Something that you shouldn't be probing into but you are Violet. "Let those balance sheets be unbalanced for a while and let me romance you for a while. After all, after tomorrow all you got to do is rest and..." "Take Luke for the physical therapy. I remember that. He is doing so well after a session so I thought why not continue it." You are avoiding being near me. Is it because you think you are playing me for some reason?

"I will always listen to you baby, you know that don't you? Then why are you even questioning this?" I pushed her hair behind her ear. "Now I wish you to be equally radiant for tomorrow and for that to happen, you need to get some sleep and not look at these balance sheets. I will do this for now." "But Lucian..." I placed my finger over her lips. "Come on querida, I am your lover, let me take care of you too. I deserve to do that. I do not wish to feel this incompetent."

"Luci, you are the best part of my life." She placed her head on my chest. "I do not know what I will ever do without you beside me. Promise me that you are never going to leave me again?" Why do you think I am going to leave you, Violet? Please tell me what you have been hiding from me? what burden you are carrying over your shoulder. I don't know when you will learn to trust me.

"Luci, promise me." She said snuggling more into me. "Yes, I promise you. I promise that I am going to be with you. I promise." I kissed her forehead. "I love you so very much." "I love you as well. I love you, Luci." I kept holding her like that. Till she fell asleep. She looked relaxed now. I placed her on the bed and covered her. She snuggled inside the cover more. "Sleep and dream of me querida. Now, I am going to go through your things and I say sorry in advance. I know this is wrong but it is a necessity. I cannot see you suffer. So, forgive me."

I have gone through her bags. But I have found nothing significant in that. I found nothing relevant to get me any clue but then I saw her jewelry case. Could it be she can hide something here? I opened the very complicated lock and inside was as I suspected the case for a ring. But I bet it is empty. But then I cannot be completely sure of why she will lock it in here if there isn't anything useful to see here?