Thirty- Eight

When it all unravels

Violet helped me down on the couch. I was hurt, tired and I wanted to hop into the shower right away. But as soon as January's cries reached my ear, all that tiredness vanished. She is home. I have saved her from this ordeal. I have saved her and her mother. "Querida?" I called. She didn't respond so I walked towards the room to see she was fast asleep. Her hairs sprawled all around the bed over the pillow. I heard her cries again.

"Coming sweetheart, your daddy is here" I walked towards her and picked her up. January was looking at me with her green eyes. Like her mother's she has these beautiful eyes. "Are you hungry, baby?" I asked and then thought if she had received any food in the last forty-eight hours or so.

I tasted her formula and fed her. Once she was fed, she went to sleep again. I changed her and put her into the crib and turned on the baby monitor. "Good night, little Night" I whispered. Then I walked back to my room and hopped into the shower right away.

As the water hit my body, tears escaped my eyes. I had enough of this. And for what? What I am doing all this for? I was unable to protect anyone. I was unable to protect Violet, my son, my daughter, Daphne or Laila. I cannot do this anymore. It would have been better if I had never been in anyone's life ever, never got adopted, never met Daphne, never joined the army, and never met Laila. Never came here and met Ezra, and never...

I punched the glass wall of the shower. I am frustrated. If this threat can come and disrupt my life, who knows what else can come back and again disrupt my life. If I can leave it all behind then...

I felt someone's hand on my back. "Querida, I thought you were asleep," I whispered. "I was then, I heard your cries. You forgot to turn the water at full." I wiped my eyes and turned around. Her green eyes looked concerned. "It is alright Luci; you can cry your heart out. I know it is so much to take in." She whispered.

Then she picked the towel after turning the water off. Then she lovingly begins drying me up. I thought after knowing my role in most of her life's trouble she wouldn't want to do anything with me. Maybe I was wrong about it. Maybe I was wrong about her. She took me back to the room and made me sit on the bed. Then she begins to dry my hair.

I saw she also had changed into something different. She put the drier away and gave me my sweats. And watched me as I got dressed. She often does that. Then she sat on to my lap hugging me. I hugged her back and sat there in utter silence. The morning sun broke through our window and we were still holding on to one another. "You are beautiful you know that?" I asked her running my fingers through her hair.

"I know I am the most beautiful person in your eyes, Luci. That is enough for me. I always had loved you. I have been in love with you since I was in high school final year. Then, I kept loving you through my college days. And when I finally am here sitting next to you as your other half, I am glad that I am the one after everything that had happened. I am happy it is me, Luci." She whispered.

"I love you, Querida. More than anyone else, more than anything in my life. I do not wish to have ever put you in any kind of danger. But forgive me if I did it by accident. It was not my intention." She looked up and give me this smile that filled my heart with happiness.

"I know, it is psychopaths being psychopaths." She yawned. "Let's sleep. I want to hold you to sleep." She told me. "Yes, as my master commands." She smiled lazily at that.

I woke up with the sounds of cries. And then I found Violet wasn't there with me. Next to me, and I can clearly hear January cry. I got up and saw it was evening already. How long I was asleep exactly? I walked out and saw Violet was trying to calm January down and on the other hand trying to feed Chris. Luke was putting back together a Lego castle.