Twenty- six

Familial Matters

The salty sea air calmed me down. It was home to me, in every perfect sense. We are in Greece in the Night Mansion. And my mother cannot be more overjoyed seeing me there. I on the other hand was still in thoughts about the revelation I had a week ago. She was pregnant and this time I wanted to be there for her in every way I can. But still, then there was a question that was still present in my nagging mind. Where was she gone exactly? Why she preferred to flee the next moment?

Then there was another fear there too. What if Peter came to know about Lucas's real identity then he will try and take him away from me. I cannot have that. I cannot have any of that. I cannot let anyone take him away. Violet will be devastated if that happened. And more than that, he will get an opportunity he was so waiting for. After all, Peter always wanted to have everything of mine. He never liked me. Never, on any day of his entire life, he considered me as a brother. For him, I always will be the outsider his parents brought home to ruin his life.

I felt Violet's hand on my shoulder. "You feel tensed, what is the matter?" he asked. "Nothing as such, I was wondering if Peter came to know about the real identity of Lucas then what?" She turned me around so that I can face her. "And what according to you is the real identity of Lucas?" She asked. "He is my son and..." She placed a finger on my lips silencing me. "He is mine too. As far as anyone knows, he is mine and yours. And now..." She paused and placed my hand over her flat abdomen. "She is too, she is your wish remember?" Violet asked. "How can I forget querida? I was the one who wished for a little princess and there will be two big brothers to protect her from everything." She laughed.

"Maybe in this story, she will be the one to protect her big brothers from impending doom. Who knows what she will turn out to be?" That is also not very wrong. No one knows what she will become. "So, I have scheduled an appointment for tomorrow, we need to get you checked to see if everything is alright." She looked at me with a sad smile. "I know Lucian last time it all went wrong." She was right. The last time it did went wrong.

"This time it will not, I promise you. I will stay next to you Violet as a good husband should. But there is one thing I must do before that." I told her. "And what is that, Luci?" I pushed a hair strand away tucking it behind her ear. "You will find out. Tonight, there is a bonfire. My friends are organizing it, I wish you to come with me and attend it. Will you do it Querida? We can stay out by the beach camping in our special place I have shown you last time we are here." I told her.

"What about Lucas, will he be alright?" I nodded. "Currently he is in care of my adoptive mother, she is an excellent doctor. You need to believe to see it." I told her touching her nose. I didn't wish to bring what happened back in, London. It will be rude to ruin these precious moments and besides I was thinking about starting a new one. This place is where I will start anew.

"You are still thinking something?" She asked. "Nothing as such, let's go and check on Chris before my father makes a mini businessman out of him." She laughed at that. I am glad she liked the joke. "Maybe you will make out a mini you of him. A mini soldier boy." She commented. "He can actually, with his strict rules around the house he keeps you all in, I am surprised how you are even living so normally with him." I looked at Peter who was lazily sprawled across the couch of the lounge.

"What is with you Pete, cant you lay it off?" I asked him. I am tired of this attitude, till when he is going to treat me like this? Half the reason for me joining the military was I wanted to escape him. More than Daphne I wanted to forget he existed. And then he goes and marries the girl I had loved. Just to rub it on my face he made me his best man to show me how I can never have her. "No, little brother, I cannot lay anything off sadly for you, you will not understand it."