Eighteen

In disharmony with the foe

The arrival of the detective had saddened every one of them. But mostly it was Violet. "Mr. Night, that is all we can say. They were well equipped for this. If anyhow you both were present there, none of you could have survived." That was some news to me. But not good news apparently. And none of the participants present are happy about it.

"I can understand, can you tell me if you have any leads?" I asked. "I don't for now, but I would very like to know who would like to harm you this way?" Rosa looked at Violet. Why is she looking at her this way? Violet will never even think about harming me. 

"Not presently I can think of anyone. I don't know why anyone wishes to harm me and my family sir." I replied politely. "Very well then, if you want to talk about anything Mr. Night, give me a call." He stood up and we shook our hands. Then he left.

I saw Rosa walk away angrily from the room. Violet looked at me worriedly. "I will be inside with the children." She left too before I can discuss anything with her. Before I can tell her that I do not suspect her. I do not, she couldn't have done this. I know, I trust her enough to know. I knocked at Rosa's door. "Come inside" Rosa was sitting at her bed going through some files. I closed the door behind me.

"Rosa, what was that? Why have you offended Violet that way?" I asked. "Like you do not know why, or maybe you chose to ignore it. But last time when she played you, I was there. I was holding on to you when you broke down in front of me. Lucian, you are my best friend and I refuse to see you go through it again and again." I sat down in front of her stopping her from turning the pages.

"You always do this when you are angry Curoe, don't end this conversation here. Not like this. I cannot handle you suspecting my wife always this way." I told her. "No, I am not suspecting her. I know what happened last time. How difficult it was for you to overcome this all. But now to you are doing the same thing. You are believing her." I touched her cheek. "Rosa, you have the best interest when it comes to all of us, me, Ezra, your brother, even Landon, Adam, and Damien. But sometimes you have to understand it is a matter of the heart. My heart beats for her."

"You have fallen for her again." I shook my head. "I never fell out of love with her. I was always in love with her. Like Ezra is your undoing she is mine. Rosa, we both knew our relationships were toxic, and eventually, it will kill us, destroy us from within. But the temptation was too much to be avoided." I caressed her cheek. She didn't push me away from her. I guess she knows I am talking the truth. She touched my chest placing her hand over my heart.

"Yes, Lucian we are the foolish ones. We failed to see what was in front of us the whole time." I pulled her close and she placed her head on my shoulder holding me. "And what was that Curoe," I asked curiously. "Us, I failed to recognize it when the chance came. I fail to recognize how we were perfect for each other." She whispered. "Maybe so Rosa, but you have always loved my brother Ezra. He is someone you couldn't have lived without. You can live without me. But not without him."

"That is why it has always been disruptive and toxic, but that is what I wanted. Now I am seeing the same signs for you. I have survived it. I know how it can get. I don't want you to suffer Lucian, you still are my best friend. And I want to protect you." I placed a kiss on her forehead. "All with the good intentions Mrs. Olyphant. But my heart need not protecting because I am not the owner anymore. It is with her. It had been hers when she chose me against every warning sign lingering around me." Rosa chuckled.

"Then I guess I am not the only one attracted to your dark brooding persona, is it?" "Seems to me that way Curoe, Seems to me that way," I whispered holding her still. "I must go and check on her. She was genuinely upset." I told her. "Then why you came here first?" Rosa asked. "You know why Rosa, you know very well why," I told her. She placed a kiss on my cheek. "I know, I am always the first choice because it is easier to tackle me than her." I stood up and she held my arm.