Chapter 2: Ethics????

I couldn't stop thinking about what he said. I know a person working in science should be tough at heart but doesn't a human life means nothing here?

Once I was done pouring the plates. I checked the autoclave timer. Great nothing to do for the next 2 hours. My stomach is groaning. I should probably get something to eat. I walked to the ground floor where I had seen the cafeteria when I entered. There aren't many people here. The building feels abandoned yet maintained.

I ordered in a regular junk meal and a strong caffeinated drink. Once I received my order I thanked the waitress and scanned the room. I spotted Dr. Patrik he was with some other guy who looked about the same age as him. He had an apron on. I am guessing he must be from some other department.

" Hey, Niya come sit with us." Dr. Patrick called out for me. I approached the table and took a chair. This is my dear friend Dr. Karl from the Biochemistry department. You would be formally meeting him shortly anyways.

"Hi Dr. Karl, I am Niya." I said introducing myself with a firm handshake.

"Oh hi, you must be the new intern. Very interesting profile I must say. And please call me just Karl" He said smiling returning the gesture. I smiled back and thanked him.

"So, how many people work here?" I questioned looking at them both.

"It's just 7 doctors and 3 interns now 4 that you are in." Karl answered.
" So we are just 11 people working in such a big institute?" I asked with disbelief.

" Yep. Excluding the cafeteria and housekeeping staff" he added.

"So Patrik what do you have for today's brainstorming session?" Karl said looking at Dr. Patrick

"Literally nothing. This creature isn't ready to grow. I am not yet sure if it is a bacteria or virus."

"Have you seen the patients Karl?" I asked.

"Yes, I have seen and examined many patient. In fact, one is in my department under strict quarantine."

" Can I see it? I asked immediately then turned to Dr. Patrick "If you are okay with it?" I added. He nodded a yes.

"Of course you can why don't you join me on the second floor," he said cheerfully.

"Dr. Patrick, would do you need any more assistance?" I asked politely.

"No. You can explore the building if you want and surely take a look at our subject upstairs."
"But make sure you are present for the 5 pm meeting," he said quite sternly

"That would be my responsibility" Dr. Karl interrupted.

Leaving Dr. Patrik in the cafeteria Dr. Karl and I headed towards the Biochemistry lab. He entered his security pin and the large metal doors slid open. I walked inside leading me to the workspace.

"I better get the PPE on." I pointed to the dressing room.

"Trust me you don't even need a facemask for this one."
"You are kidding, right? I was maintaining level 4 precautions downstairs"

He randomly picked up a test tube with no gloves on. The test tube had the same black sample in it which I was working on downstairs. He dipped his finger into it.
Oh my God!! I practically yelled

"Relax. This thing doesn't affect people who aren't the legacy of this continent."

I was beyond pissed. Like seriously? He dipped a bare finger into a test sample? What are you a two-year-old? Who must have given him a doctorate? Or has he reached the mad scientist stage already?

"Can we see the patient?" I uttered with the little patience I had.

He walked further into the lab. Almost at a far corner, there was a shutter. Karl entered a password and also scanned his biometric. The shutter lifted.

There was a cage made up of silver. At a corner, there was a boy, not older than 15-16 years. He had a black fluid oozing out of his ears nose and mouth. He looked terrified and in intense pain
He tried getting up but fell by his knees.

"Please! Heal Please!" that all he said. But couldn't complete as the black fluid kept on filling his mouth. He was suffering like no man ever should. I kept staring at him with watering eyes.

"Here comes more sample!" Karl said letting out an exhausting breath. Why don't you help me out with a few tests I guess you must be having a fair idea about biochem as well.

"Hellooooooo!! Morning sunshine." Dr. Karl broke my trans
"Yes, poor soul. I feel so sorry for this boy. His family must have shattered." I said with sadness in every word.

"They think we have burned him." My eyes widened. "As so does the King thinks"

"Before you declare me as the bad guy listen, Whosoever gets infected is immediately burned. These are the king's orders and if someone doesn't follow them they die too." He tried convening his point.
"We have until sundown We are gonna try a new drug on him and if it doesn't work he should be burned," Karl added.

My head is spinning. Ethics????? Where are they??

"Look I hate this too but we literally can't do anything. If you don't follow what they say, You die. It's simple for them."

I could not say anything. Tears threatened to leave my eyeballs
I should have probably not filled you in. Why don't you get a walk and meet me at 4.40 pm here?

I couldn't let a word out of my mouth. I just left the lab. I exited the building holding my head. I don't want to work in such an atmosphere. I will quit this job. Science without ethics is not my thing. Can't do this. I entered my car and stepped on the accelerator.
Reaching my house I started packaging. It was 5.30 pm and already getting dark. But I was determined. I am leaving this place right now.

Suddenly I heard a painful scream from a child. I ran out to find the owner of that voice. I saw a 5-year-old with the same black oozing from his nose. Deep into the forest, I saw some people with burning sticks. The boy was scared. He looked at me with watered eyes pleading for help.
Without a second thought, I picked the child and ran inside the house and closed all doors and windows.

I guess I am not leaving that sooner.