Chapter 12: First shift

Niya POV.

My first field day went well. All the patients and their parents cooperated.
Coming days I have to test the elders. I hope that goes well as today.

Mark said he would help me with the work and he has a strong belief I am related to him. He said he needs 5 ml of my blood. Weird. I don't know what is he going to do with that.
As if he could do a DNA test himself.

Anyways, I gave him my sample without hesitation because I believe him.Besides, I don't feel like he means any harm to me. 

It has been another week. I am working on field at the blood moon territory. My work is going smoothly. But the only thing that concerns me is Ron.

He has been growing too fast. His height and weight is increasing like no measures. He has the body structure of a 13 year old and I have no scientific explanation to it. On the other hand the 6 kids I have been studying show no such effects.

I have been studying Ron's blood. It shows a very high rate of cell division. He is tall as me and muscular as well. Also he is very smart. He keeps on reading about God know what stuffs but he has an IQ of a 21 year old already.

The only good thing is he can get out of the house now as no one can recognize him. I have warned him to be careful. We don't want anyone to question his identity. I have recorded his biophysical parameters for the day. It's almost dinner time and I am setting up the table.

"Ron get inside" he is looking up at the sky. After calling him for the third time I decided to go and drag him inside. He was staring at the moon. It is a full moon night today.

"I would appreciate to stare at the moon with you right now but my stomach is churning. I skipped lunch today. So are you coming inside or should I drag you?"

He turned at me. His eyes were pitch red. I went closer to him. "Ron what's wrong?"
"Mom stay away from me." He sounded so different. Despite his warning I moved closed and touched his cheeks. That's when he felt to the ground screaming in pain. "Mom go inside and lock the doors. Now"

"Why do you think I am going to leave you out here. Just hold on baby let me call an ambulance." I pulled out my phone from my jeans. I heard bones break. I was scared to death for my baby. I dialed the number and was about to press call. And that's when a wolf lunged for my phone.
He was about my height 5'2 and had sharp fangs. Ron's clothes were tore and shredded to the floor and instead of him there stood a huge wolf.

I could see what was before me but couldn't process. Where did this wolf come from and where is Ron. The wolf was Ron? No that couldn't be possible. The wolf was staring at me with the same red eyes which I saw a few moments back. After pulling myself together, I finally made the courage to speak

"Ron" I said softly. He was brown in colour. The wolf closed his eyes. I don't know how but I had the guts to move closer to the wolf. He growled a little which was supposed to stop me but it didn't. 'Ron' I said again. The wolf sat down on the ground. I went closer to him and touched his fur. It was soft. I tried petting it but it kept growling. He showed no signs of attacks.

After a few minutes the wolf got up and leaped into the forest behind the house. I followed the wolf but couldn't keep up with his speed. I went deeper and deeper into the jungle. I couldn't find him. 

That's when I saw another wolf. His eyes kept flickering to brown and red. But this wolf was much much bigger. Maybe 8 feet tall. It had a pitch black coat. That's the last thing I saw. All I saw next was darkness.

Next morning I woke up on my couch. I got up and inspected the surrounding. I was at my home. How did I get here? Last thing I remember is the black wolf.

That's when I saw Ron come inside wearing just a short. I held my head in my hands. He came running to me at sat in front of me. "Mom, I am so sorry, I should have told you already. I am so sorry I risked your life" he said in a apologistic tone.

"I want you to tell me everything... you know about yourself and the wolf thing of yours." I said 

He nodded " Mom, my birth parents are werewolves. It's like they are human as well as wolves. They can turn into werewolves and back into humans whenever they desire. But on full moons werewolves have no control. Only the higher members of the pack have control over their shift.

I blinked several times trying to sink in the new information I received from the little kid that I call my own. He is a werewolf. A human-wolf chimera.
"Yesterday was my first shift. Werewolf shift when they are 15 years old. But I have no idea how I shifted yesterday. I am growing so fast"

"Do werewolves age at this speed as you are aging" I tried to make a connection

"No mom. We age just like humans maybe a little faster but I am so confused what is happening to me."

After sometime I asked him
"What do werewolves eat?"

"Other animals. I ate a deer last night" His words made me threw up

"Mom.. I am sorry I..."

" it's... it's okay.. I guess.. considering you are also a part of wolf.. that's your food.."
I took a deep breath

" Do you have control when you are wolf?" I questioned

"It depends me and my wolf we both can control my mind but last night since it was my first shift.. he was in total control. Also, yesterday was the first time that I came to know I even had a wolf.
When I was 3 year old. I wasn't as strong as the other kids and I also got infected with that disease later. Werewolves don't get infected and are extremely strong. I was always outcasted by my parents and family. Even before I got infected they said I was an abomination to the family and didn't deserve to live anymore." He looked down trying to hide his tears.

"That was the only reason I never told you about my past, mom. I would have never endangered your life. God I don't deserve you. I should have died back then." he teared up

I got furious and slapped him. Well that was a reflex. I would never mess up with a wolf but then again he was my son. Okay not technically my son. I haven't given him birth but he was my own and I couldn't take him talking about his death

"Don't you ever say that. You are my son you get that!" This is the first time I had every been so angry at him.

"I.. I am sorry.. I won't say that again" he said with his words trembling.
I then pulled him closer to me and hugged him. He is too huge for me now but I tried my best to engulf him.

"I love you mom. I will never leave you. I will love you always" he said with tears
"I love you too" We stayed like that for sometime. And then we separated.

"Mom my wolf says he loves you too"
"Your wolf can speak?"
"Yes he can speak in my head. I can take control when I am in wolf form and he can take control when I am in human form we just have to allow each other to do that"

"So I can talk to him?" I asked him

"Technically yes. But you can't" he clearly denied

"Why not?" I asked him impatiently.

"He could be dangerous. He doesn't know how to react with humans"

"Come on.. yesterday he was incharge and he didn't hurt me. That too in his wolf form. Let me talk to him....." I did my best to convence him

"Okay fine.. if he acts any weird then go lock yourself in a room." I grinned happily.

I don't know why but I wasn't afraid. Ron closed his eyes and then opened them. They were red just like last night. I moved closer to him and touched his cheeks.

He took my hand and smelled.
"Mom" he said. I caressed his cheeks. He slept on my laps and closed his eyes. I stroke his hair gently. After sometime I noticed he felt asleep. I was sitting on the couch. I leaned back and I closed my eyes. Immediately, sleep consumed me as I was beyond tired.