Chapter 10: Blood Moon territory

Marks POV.

Last night I dropped Niya and headed back to the packhouse.  The filthy prince scared her to death.

I don't know why he turned in the middle of nowhere. Like it wasn't even full moon yesterday. Anyways, that's none of my concern. He is just a naïve pup.

What I am really worried about is Niya. Ever since I saw her my wolf has been very protective of her. He keeps on saying she is family. I don't know how it is possible considering I have none.

I was at the breakfast table when I smelled Niya. Wait, what? How can I smell Niya? She can't be here. 

I followed the scent and saw her at the main entrance. How did she cross the pack territory? I had made a witch spell on my pack grounds. No human, vampire, or wolf could enter. Only those who belong to my pack could cross the territory. But here she is, a human walking straight into the packhouse.

'That's because she is family, you idiot. The witch had spelled the territory so that no one other than family or pack could enter the grounds.' My over-smart wolf made a comment. He isn't wrong completely. I always trust my wolf. I didn't believe him yesterday when he said Niya is family. But now that she walked my grounds I am starting to rethink.

"Niya. How come you are here?" she turned back and looked at me. Well, I think she wasn't expecting me.

"Mark! You live here?"
"Yes I do and I own this place sweety" I grinned at her.
"ohhh.. then I hope you could help me. I need to find these kids." She handed me a list.

"I assume you know them. Can you please help me find their parents?"
"Yes, I do. They are kids of my warriors and these other three down here are kids of the omegas."

She looked confused by my words.
"You know warriors as in the police and omegas as in the helpers and maids"
"Oh.. you guys have slightly different terminology for different people here. I am sorry I didn't know"

"It's okay dear you will get used to it. Why don't you join me for a cup of coffee until they reach here?"

"You are calling them here? Actually, I am supposed to go to their place and carry out few tests on their kids." She then explained to me what tests she is going to perform on the kids. They were just to check for side effects of the antidote. 

Fair enough. She isn't going to harm my pack I can surely coordinate. 'If you don't help our sister I will kick your ass' my wolf growled in my mind.

Jeez, I was just concerned about the safety of my pack and my wolf is the one always on alert for safety. And now look at him.
"Niya. Just relax. They'll be here and you can explain to their parents together about the test in one go. Besides I am their alpha so they do as I say"

"Right, alpha the first order leader." she said more to herself.
"There you go. See you are already adjusting. Now, why don't you tell me something about yourself?"

"As you know I am a junior scientist at the Moondwelt institute and..."

I cut her off "I want to know about our family because I think we are connected somewhere or the other" I don't know what she is going to think about my irrational comment. I hope she doesn't assume I am creepy. She took a pause and thought for a few seconds.

"I was adopted by my foster parents when I was about 2. I have no idea who my family is or any details of my family history. But I don't think I belong to this place. Like this is the first time I have ever been here. But again I was very little when and don't remember anything before I was adopted" she looked a little sad explaining her story.

I mind-linked my warriors to hurry up. Just at the moment, everyone was gathered. They were highly alert as they had never seen a human in this house. Some warriors had their claws out. Before anyone could do anything stupid I mind-linked the entire pack.

'She is a human and very close to me. Any harm to her and I will kill the guilty with my bare hands.' I roared in my alpha tone. The warriors relaxed knowing that she was a friend and not an enemy to their alpha.

Niya's POV

I met Mark here which I wasn't expecting. But I am glad that he is here. He is helping me out with my procedures. I hate fieldwork because here you have to actually convince the patients that you mean no harm to them.

But Mark has been supportive. I explained to him the procedures. He then asked me about my family. Well, I can talk about my adoptive family for hours but he was more interested in my biological parents as he thinks we are related. I don't know what gave him this idea. But I would be overjoyed if what he says is true. 

I like Mark as a person. He has been so protective about me just like an older brother. Whenever I look at Mark I start missing Shawn.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as I noticed there were 6 men with their little ones standing in front of us. I assume the kids are the patients who received the antidote last week.

"Hello everyone, this is Niya she is the one who made the antidote which saved the lives of your kids last week" Mark introduced me to the men. They were all tall and muscular. One or two were quite weak as compared to the others. Kinda looked scary but then again they would look into Mark's eyes.
I could tell they were frightened of him. "She would be performing some tests on your kids to make sure they are well and I want you all to cooperate with her." It sounded like more of an order and nobody objected him.

"Agghh.. hi.. can you all please fill in your and your child's details and sign the form?" They all did as I asked. That was easy. But I swear it was all because of Mark. These scary men would have never listened to me and I am pretty sure about it.

I started with the anthropometric measurements first and started noting down the observations. Then I went with biochemical and clinical tests.