Chapter 24: The hunters

Derek's POV

Niya is mad at me. That was obvious. I knew what I was doing but at least we had a moment together. Besides, I think she would consider forgiving me. Not for me but at least for my wolf. I admit I  was a jerk when I broke up with her. But her safety is all I want. 

"Alpha prince, I have news about Alpha Mark's gamma" my beta spoke as he bowed.

"Go on" I hate that gamma. I need to know everything about the creep that had been all over my mate.

"Alpha, he is not a native member of the blood moon pack. There are no records of him. Our sources confirm that he wasn't even living in the packhouse. In fact, he wasn't even here  2 weeks ago. Apparently, he is a fugitive or appeared out of nowhere. So I checked for records with the same names from other packs. After going through a lot of data I found out that a boy named Ron was given a death sentence by the king as he was infected. The troops were taking him to incinerate but he slipped off. I enquired with his parents but they say he is just a 5-year-old and must have been long dead. In case, they have any information they are going to revert." he informed.

"We aren't looking for a 5-year-old Edward. The gamma was young but not a child. He must be 18. It's weird Mark has a gamma with no family history" I said and Edward agreed.

"Keep working on this. Let me know if you find out anything else" I dismissed him after the conversation. I have to be at the alliance meeting which dad has rescheduled. Let's hope everything goes well this time.

Niya's POV

The next day the King wants to make amends and Mark would be going to the palace. He wants me to come if that would be okay with me. He has given me time to think.

 'Can we please go?' my wolf asked me for the 100th time. 'Fine. We will go. But you cannot have control. Only if you promise me to not fight for control.. we are going' 

She happily agreed to my offer even though I highly doubt how much she is going to hold up her part of the deal. It's going to be just me and Mark since Will is busy with his mate and Ron.. Well, Mark has been extra protective of him so he has a clear NO to tag along with us.

 Besides the scene that he created makes me wanna puke. I got dressed in denim shorts and wore a black crop top. I had pulled my hair up in a messy bun. I walked to the dining hall where Mark was sipping on his coffee.

"Do I look like a homeless beggar?" I questioned him. He almost spat his coffee laughing.

"You look, beautiful angel." He spoke after he gulped down the sip.

We reached the palace and went to their meeting room. Derek was already present with his mom by his side. I couldn't see that bitch with him... oh! right I almost killed her when she attacked my son.

I took a seat beside Mark. We started with the discussion. The king had offered Mark the entire ownership of Moondwelt in exchange for his assistance.

"There was a mass execution of vampires on our land." The king said. I bit my lips. Derek and Mark both gazed at me instantly. " We have no idea about who killed them and why here. They did try to break into the palace a few months ago." I relaxed knowing that they don't know the culprit. 

"But this event has definitely gathered the attention of the hunters. Their leader had dropped me a call saying that along with the vampires a human was murdered." My throat ran dry. Mark held my hand to comfort me. "I just want you to be a witness and tell him that we are not involved in this and have no idea about it." The king continued. "Do we have a deal alpha Mark?"

" We definitely don't know about the vampires or any human getting murdered." I clutched on to his hand tighter. "I will stand by your side."

"I would like to talk to your young alpha here. Alone." Mark said sternly

"As long as no one hurts each other, I am fine." the king said and left the room with his wife. It's just Derek, Mark and me in the room.

"Niya soundproof the room," Mark said I did a small spell and now no one could listen to what we speak. Even with werewolf ears.

"Who else have you told Niya is a witch" Mark questioned Derek.

"No one. Why would I tell anyone? It just puts her into danger"

"And what are you going to tell the hunters?"

"That I don't know anything about the vampires or the human" Derek rolled his eyes "Why do you think I would endanger the life of my mate??"

"I don't know. You tell me" Mark said testing Derek's patience. Before they would get to a fight I jumped in.

"Enough of you two, already."

The king came in. The hunters are out. Remember what we have discussed. We walked out to the main door. There were many armed men. They had shotguns, riffles, and whatnot. Derek immediately pushed me behind his back.

I couldn't see anymore because of his tall figure. "Here comes the two important alpha's with the reign of this continent. How pleasent to see you both side by side." someone from them said. Most certainly their leader. Why is the voice familiar to me.

"Before you start up with whatever story you have prepared. I would like to enlighten you... I have an eyewitness to the entire incident. Isaac why don't you share the true story with the group?" he said and then another man started speaking.

"When I went by the lake I saw 100s of vampires laying dead. So I followed the trail of bodies and it let me to Moondwelt institute. I was a girl enter the basement. She was furious. She had another boy and a black wolf by her side. I did not enter the basement. After a few minutes, there was a fire in the basement. The other guy who had entered had a different girl in his arms and he ran off. Next, I saw the black wolf carrying the furious girl on his back. She was unconscious I guess. I don't know. But then I entered the basement. The fire had stopped but there was the vampire leader shredded to pieces and a Doctor. Dead!"

"Thank you for sharing Issac. Now you see all I want is the black wolf and the pesky girl. My friend Issac here can easily identify the girl and she will lead us to the wolf" their leader said. Derek pushed me behind Mark and took a few steps forward. He mind-linked me and said "Run. I love you"

"The girl is not here. I am the black wolf take me" everyone was shocked.

"Wow! that was easy. But I want both the girl as well as the wolf. We don't know who killed the doctor. I don't care about the vampires, they deserved it... but if you hunt a human. I hunt you. The rules are simple."

"He didn't kill the doctor" I walked right in front of the hunters and said, "I did."

I was stunned looking at the person in front of me.

"Niya get your ass out of here right now!" Mark growled angrily.

"Shawn?" I said looking at the leader of the hunters.

"Niya!" He roared "What the fuck are you doing here among the wolves." He asked perplexed

"What the fuck are you doing here among the hunters?" I retorded

"That's it. That's the girl. The white wolf that killed the doctor."

Shawn had the Issac guy by his throat.

"How dare you call my sister a wolf?" he said trying to kill him

"That's true. I am a wolf. Come on kill me. And don't forget to use your favorite gun." I said calmly.

"You know I wouldn't let anyone hurt a hair on your head. Let alone hurt you myself. And for God's sake stop calling yourself a wolf. You have been drinking cinnamon tea since we were kids. It had Aconitum. Even a drop of that tea would have killed you if touched you." He reasoned out. We both were staring each other in confusion.

"Why don't we test it?" Another hunter grabbed me and injected a syringe into my neck. He emptied the entire syringe in my neck."

"Noooooooooo" Derek screamed and was immediately by my side. He engulfed my dropping figure. Then, all I could see was darkness.