Chapter 17: The Breakup

Derek's POV

I heard Niya scream. I immediately followed the directions on her voice and grabbed her. Who the hell tried to scare my mate.

The time I laid my eyes on him, I immediately knew he was a vampire.

More surrounded us. I picked Niya and we sprint inside the palace. Vampires couldn't enter without permission. Only someone with Royal blood could give them permission to walk in.

But then I saw the vampires walk right past inside. I was terrified. Not for myself but for my mate. I mind-linked my pack.

Most of the warriors were with my parents to meet the queen of our species. These vampires weren't that strong. But with Niya by my side I was weak.

They will target her. I have to get her to the safe. I ran towards her house. The vampires couldn't enter her house. I could feel my breath now.

But I couldn't let these vampires walk over my land. If few are already here more must be on their way. Before they contact more I need to kill each and every one of them.

I could feel Niya's heart pounding. As much as I wanted to stay and comfort my mate. I couldn't. I kissed her and she told me she loves me.

That's the first time she ever said that she loves me. I feel like I own the world. I don't need anything else in my life.

But I can't even enjoy this moment. I won't rest until I burn down each and every vampire.

My pack joined me and we started hunting the vampires. One by one. My uncle joined us. Why is he late. I will question him later. I focused on killing the vampires. I tore their head off their body and ripped off their hearts.

One vampire ran off. We tried our best to find him but we couldn't. I came back to the palace back with my pack. We had a meeting.

Ever since mom and dad went. The patrol has been weak. I was so busy with my mate that I had no time to look after the pack and that is the reason my wolves didn't sniff those blood-sucking monsters.

I gave strict duties to the wolves. I increased the patrol and tightened the security.

My dad had made an alliance with the queen and they decicated their clan leader those vampires with the help of the queen's witch friend.
But now since his minions are back I guess he is resurrected.

They weren't here to kill me. They were after Niya. Since I was the one who held the heart of his mate. It's obvious he is after my mate.

"You know why the vampire minions are here right?" my uncle Sean made his presence known.

" I do know."

"You have to break it off with your mate and reject.."

Before he could complete his sentence I had him by his throat.

"Do you want her to die?" he spoke even though he was choking. I left him.

"She is just a human. Weak. Fragile. She can't protect herself from vampires. Don't forget your mother got almost killed and your grandparents are no more because of those bloodsuckers" it's true. The mere thought of that day send waves of terror throughout my body

"You think about it. You have to make sure she leaves this place and goes far away if you want her alive."

Saying that my uncle left. Niya was constantly texting me and calling me. I had no guts to answer her call. I kept thinking about her all night.

I can't see her hurt let alone harmed. My love.. my mate she is the most precious thing for me.. but her being alive is much more important.

'DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT' my wolf growled. 'Do you want to see her hurt?' I screamed at him. 'We CAN protect our MATE'

I would happily die for her any minute but if she has a single scratch because of those vampires I cannot forgive myself. We have already completed the mating bond but I haven't marked her yet.

I don't think I can do this. But I have to. For her. I texted her saying I would be meeting her at Moondwelt tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be the worst day of my life.

Niya's POV

I was awake the entire night waiting for a single text from Derek. I received a message that he would be meeting me at the institute.

I immediately called him as he replied but he didn't answer. This is giving me shivers.

I had missed calls from Mark but I am not ready to talk with him. Not right now. I went to the institute.

Karl was happy to have me back. I had this pit in my stomach telling me something really bad is going to happen. I was waiting for Der in the conference room.

He came into the conference room. He didn't make eye contact with me.  This is making me more nervous.

"Niya.. I want to break up" he said as if it's a doll show.

It felt like the earth under my feet cracked and my legs have stoned. I cannot breathe. My lungs are gasping for air. My body is in shock.

"WHY.." I managed to say.

"I don't like you anymore."

I wasn't looking at him. My heart broke into a million pieces. I thought what we had was pure. Pure love. But how wrong was I?

"Also you are no longer allowed to work here. You are fired!" He said monotonously. " I give you 2 days to pack up your stuff and leave this place for good"

First, he broke my heart, and then he took my job and house. He has broken me in every possible way. That's when the conference room's glass door shattered into pieces. And Mark burst in. Tears rolled down my eyes. Looking at me crying he was didn't he had all mixed emotions.

"And yes the sex was thrilling. Never knew a virgin could actually be so good at it"

This was the final nail in the coffin. I ran out of the conference room. Mark followed me.