Chapter 28: Is This Really Happening? [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

After two months of arguing with my mom, having mini tantrums, and living under the veiled threats from the Alpha, I cracked under the pressure. I agreed to join the pack. It was a bitter pill to swallow. For most of my life, I enjoyed the freedom that came with being a rogue, not having to kiss and grovel beneath an alpha's ass. Now it would be different. I'd have to follow orders, give up my Grayback powers, and become a team player. Yay for me! The idea of joining the pack sounded shitty. I was losing more than I was gaining from this compromise, but I had to take it for the sake of my family. Lilly and my mom needed to win back the reins of their tumultuous lives and begin enjoying living again. The pack and the coven would protect them, even if I still had my doubts.

I glanced around my spacious room. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. In front of a massive window overlooking a communal garden stood a queen-sized bed with pale blue bedding. The bed was comfortable, I might add; I tested it out earlier for quality purposes and such... moving on. There were several white bookcases loaded with books and a reading desk shoved against the room's wall. On the opposite side of the room were two doors, one leading to an en-suite bathroom and the second to a walk-in closet.

Back then, if someone had told me I'd have to live in a pack house with potty-trained pack animals, I would have used them as a chew toy. But here I was. I shook my head as I plunged onto the edge of the bed.

"Do you think we're doing the right thing?" I nudged Fenrus awake inside my head.

He grumbled awake. "I do. I will admit that saying goodbye to the ability to kick an alpha's ass and being able to ignore their orders is going to be a major kick to the balls, but we'll get through it. Remember that as long as Lilly and Mom are happy, it's worth it."

I stood up from the bed and walked up to the window. Lilly was running around the garden picking flowers with my mom while Nathaniel accompanied them. It was still weird after all this time, getting to know my biological father after all this time. For the first week, an awkward silence reigned over the dinners my mom had held. She had invited Nathaniel and my siblings over so that we could get to know each other.

With Maisie, it was easy. She was a cool sister, and we grew closer as the weeks ticked by. As for Riley, instead of being called an asshole, I became the "it" to him. He grew more resentful over the weeks, and now he doesn't even acknowledge my existence. Not that I cared one bit. I made the effort several times to talk to him and got snapped at as a reward. Thanks, mom. If he wanted to act like a spoiled teenager with a small dick syndrome, he could as well shove off and go play with his small prick.

As for the man called my father, he was stoic most of the time. But he was gentle to those he loved, yet firm enough to crack down and step on your tail if you stepped out of line. Even I ran through one of his lectures when Maisie and I slipped out one evening and went to the lake with Adam and Tyson. Never again, I tell you. His lectures cut deep.

I walked over to my duffle bags and started unpacking. I had already lost the war, and now the pack had their claws into me for the rest of my life. Might as well settle in and get the packing done before my mom barged into the room and started lecturing me again. Just as I hung one of my t-shirts onto a railing in the closet, a knock called me out.

"Come in," I said, picking up another hanger from the chair.

The bedroom doors slid open. "Hi." Adam walked into the room, smiling up a storm.

A day after I decided to join the pack, Maisie texted me. Adam was wiggling his sexy ass to a victory dance. Well, at least I made him happy. Since then, he always had a smile plastered on his sexy face. Goddess, I hated it. How could one guy be so obnoxiously happy all the time?