Chapter 8: Hidden Agendas. [Edited]

Adam Wick.

I stood there dumbfounded as I tried to pull my thoughts together. This was the last place I expected to meet him again. And yet, it's the second time he left me speechless and my heart fluttering around in my chest. I wasn't one of those creeps who loitered around staring at people for no apparent reason. Good job idiot! I wanted to shove my head through a brick wall. After a few awkward seconds, the dreamboat glanced over at his mother, I assumed. Once they said their goodbyes, they made their way past us.

As he walked past me, I recognized his scent immediately. It was him! He smelled like the t-shirt left behind in the forest. He was the one who saved Joshua and our fellow pack mates—it had to be. But one thing still bothered me though; a werewolf inflicted the claw marks, snapped necks, and broken bones left behind on the bodies of the Hunters. And yet, he didn't smell like a wolf. What's up with that?

I scratched my head, glancing back as the SUV drove off. I had to find out what he was hiding. There was something about him that didn't sit well with me. Yes, he did save two of our pack members and the son of the Supreme, but if he had nothing to hide, he would have stayed and explained himself.

In search of additional information, I turned my attention back to the Supreme. "Mrs. Staten? Who were those people?"

"Oh! They're new to Shadowdale and they wanted to introduce themselves."

Riley let out a huff. "Are they witches?"

"And what if they are?" Joshua walked over to his mother. His eyes narrowed on Riley.

"Riley, shut up! You're playing with fire." I urged the idiot through the pack link.

"What! It was an innocent question." I turned to Riley as he chuckled and said, "I knew there was something fishy about him the moment we met him."

The Supreme smirked and said, "And what do you imply by that?"

With a single sentence, the Supreme had reduced my obnoxious friend to a stuttering mess. His eyes widened while he glanced nervously over at his sister for support, but she scoffed at him.

"That's what you get for being an asshole." Maisie shook her head. "Dig yourself out of this one by yourself."

"Nothing! S-Supreme. I meant nothin' by it..." He flat-lined to an utter silence, bowing his head in shame.

Joshua walked up to Riley. "Just so you know the town doesn't belong just to your kind, so stop acting as if you own the place. Remember this, our ancestors," he stabbed Riley's chest with his index finger," founded this town, and you should be grateful that they allowed your kind to stay."

Riley took a few steps backwards. "Wow! Don't get an ulcer. I just don't like the prick, that's all."

"Ya well, nobody gives a shit."

The Supreme walked up to her son and placed her hand on his shoulder. "That's enough, Josh. You need to get back to work while I deal with them."

Joshua rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Fine." He turned around and stormed into the backroom.

"Sorry for my son's outburst, young alpha. The events of late have shaken him up a bit."

I gave Riley a scathing glance before smiling at the Supreme. "It's nothing. My friend here should learn when to keep his yap shut. He has a tendency to allow his mouth to run away from his brain."

The Supreme laughed. "So young man, what can I do for you?"

I walked up to her and handed her the documents my father had given me earlier. "My father told me to hand these files to you personally. These are the new candidates who wish to join our pack and my father's asking if the Supreme would be kind enough to run a background check on them."