Chapter 48: A Meeting With The Devil. [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

The doors of the chamber burst open as my mom, and aunts rushed into the room. Alex's yells slashed the air. I flinched every time, biting down on my lips. He didn't deserve this. None of us deserved my grandfather's hatred, but I guessed some fuckers didn't give a shit. They'd kill their own families off for the measly bit of power they could gather up into their nasty little clutches.

My aunt Aveny rushed up to my cousin and frantically man-handled him to see what was wrong with him. Alex didn't look healthy in the slightest: his tanned complexion turned white, he broke out in a cold sweat and began hyperventilating. We had to clamp his limbs down onto the table to prevent him from hurting himself. It broke my heart to see my cousin like this.

"What happened to him!?" my aunt Aveny cried out, wiping his sweat-drenched hair out of his face.

Alex tried to yank his right arm out of my grasp, but I tightened my grip. "It's blood magic," I said with a grunt, and pointed to the black patch of skin on his chest.

"Goddess!" My aunt gasped while touching the affected area and then pulling away quickly, as if it burned her.

My mom inspected the wound. "We have to hurry. The longer he stays under the spell's influence, the worse off he'll be."

Adam walked up to me with a frown etched on his handsome face. I pointed to Alex's arm, and without a word needed, he took in my place, keeping my cousin's arm restrained. I walked around the table and took my place above his head. Reaching down, I placed my hands on either side of his face.

"Nathan, what are you doing?" said my mom.

"We need to keep the spell from reaching his mind. Once they gain control of Alex's mind, grandfather can control him like a puppet on a string. No doubt he already knows where we are."

"How?" a sharp voice entered the fray. Lawrence, the Alpha, strutted into the chamber with my father and his gamma in tow.

"The spell is a scrying spell with a bloody twist," my aunt Cassy said, rubbing my other aunt's back. "A blood magic spell that seeks those who have fled into hiding by using their captured kin as an anchor."

My breath froze in my throat while an icy shiver raked down my spine. It only meant one thing. My grandfather used my uncle as an anchor. And that meant he was probably not alive anymore. Fuck! How could my uncle have been so caught up in my grandfather's schemes? He must have known that my grandfather didn't give a fuck about his family and would have used him in any manner the old fuck deemed fit.

The spell was a sick bit of sorcery that used the heart of a bloodcaster's victim as its source. When blood witches attacked their enemies, they kept their enemy's next of kin alive if they were fortunate to escape. But even then, the bloodcasters could use the escapees' family members as anchors to track them down.

"My grandfather must have killed my uncle... using his heart to solicit Alex's whereabouts. The old geezer must have realized that Alex has fled with you." I turned to my aunts. "He's using the parental bond as a tracking device."

Joshua took the opportunity to gloat. "See, Alpha. You looked in the wrong place for your mole. As I said, there are many ways for the lunatic to track them down and—"

"Not now, Joshua!" The Supreme made her presence known. "There's a life at stake."

Joshua bowed his head and muttered, "Sorry, mother."

I had to agree with the Supreme. This wasn't the time for gloating. Not while my cousin could die. Most likely, that was going to happen if we did nothing about it. Blood magic usually had a price, and a life was the cost. I gnawed on my teeth trying to find a means of saving Alex, but we were running out of time. What to do? What to do? I watched on helplessly as my aunts bickered back and forth, trying to come up with a solution. Even I was stumped. Eventually, the blood witches were able to break through the mental blocks I erected and when that happened...