Chapter 39: A Big Brother's Love. Part II [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

It's been a crazy week. I had to juggle my studies, spend as much time with Adam, and find a way for my obnoxious brother to have a normal life for once. It must have been torture for him not being able to help Kaila. Goddess knows I would have turned mad if something happened to Adam. He was slowly snuggling into my heart, and for once, I wasn't fighting it.

We were making our way out of the campus. The weather gradually turned hotter. Soon we were going to beg for winter again. All around campus, spring bloomed forth, turning the gray and lifeless landscape into a bountiful bouquet of greenery to feast one's eyes on. Soon we arrived at Adam's Jeep. True to a gentleman, he opened the door for me and I climbed in. Nothing wrong with acting a wee bit ladylike, and I really needed to throw him a bone to chew on.

"So, where are we going?" Adam asked as he climbed into the Jeep and started it.

I pulled the bracelet out of the bag and said, "We need to pay Kaila a visit. Next week when Riley returns from his trip, I need to make sure this"—I held the bracelet up—"works. Afterward, we can include Kaila in the preparations for the twins' birthday. Do you think Tyson can keep Maisie away from the pack house for a week?"

Adam chuckled. "He's already on it. I gave him the week off so that they could go on a romantic getaway."

Arg! That was the cover story Tyson used as an opportunity for him to whisk my poor sister away from our prying eyes. So that he could do all the dirty things he wanted to do to her. I shuddered. Maisie was in for a hell of a week.

"Hey? What's wrong?" asked Adam as he joined the traffic heading toward the center of town.

"Nothing. Just praying that my sister will walk again when Tyson's done with her."

Adam burst out laughing. "Oh, that's so true."

After weaving through traffic for another ten minutes, we arrived at the edge of town. We parked in front of a two-storied townhouse with beige painted walls and a red-tiled roof. I unbuckled my seatbelt and exited the vehicle. I took in a couple of deep breaths and walked up to a wrought-iron gate. There was an intercom mounted on the wall. With a hesitative finger, I pressed the button. A chirpy tune rang out, hammering against my heart.

Adam came up to me and rubbed my back. A silent bit of encouragement I desperately clung to. Was I doing the right thing by meddling in my brother's affairs? He was definitely going to lose his shit. But I had no choice. Riley deserved a bit of happiness, and if I could give it to him, I would.

"Hello?" said a female's voice over the intercom.

I leaned up to the speaker and said, "Good afternoon. I was wondering if I could speak to Kaila."

"May I ask who's speaking?"

Well, here goes nothing. There was no turning back from that point forward. "It's Nathan Underhill, Riley's older brother."

I patted my sweaty palms on my jeans before pulling on the leather strap of my backpack. We waited for a minute before the iron gate swung open. We walked toward the front porch of the house. The red door swung open, revealing a middle-aged woman with touches of gray hair woven into her brown, flowing hair. She wore a pair of red glasses that made her green eyes pop out at you.

"Good afternoon. I'm Samantha Anderson." She held out her hand for me to shake, which I did. So did Adam. "Welcome to our home." She stepped aside and allowed us into her home.

The living room was modern and clean with a lot of windows, allowing light to flood into the house. A bright L-shaped couch sat in the corner with a coffee table in front of it. A massive family portrait of the Anderson family hung over the fireplace.