Chapter 36: Alex, The Great. [Edited]

Cassandra Pope.

The door opened with the cling of a bell, announcing my presence to the customers of the dingy diner. Several heads turned to me with frowning eyebrows and chewing jaws. Most of them were loggers and truckers. Surely, an elegantly dressed woman in their midst would draw their curious gazes. They were probably wondering what I was doing there. I asked myself that as I stepped into the establishment. It was the last place I would have eaten at, but at least I didn't have to worry that I'd stumble into one of my father's lackeys. Call me a snob, but the place looked horrendous and worthy of being burned to the ground.

It was a typical sixty's diner with checkered tile flooring, a long bar with stools on the right and faded maroon booths to the left side of the aisle. Tacky white-and-red curtains hung on either side of the dirty windows, which overlooked the parking lot. The odor of burned oil hung in the air mixed with cheap coffee and second-hand smoke. How charming...

I walked down the aisle and dodged an old lady with horned glasses and a pink bouffant that defied explanation. She wore a red-and-white, skimpy server's outfit that didn't flatter her veiny legs. She carried two greasy breakfasts to the two bikers, who eyed me suspiciously.

"Good morning, gentlemen here—"

The biddy's voice trailed off as my eyes caught a young man's face. He had bleached blond hair that fell on his shoulders and blue eyes that lazily scanned a piece of laminated paper they called a menu. I shook my head when I saw him sucking on a cancer stick.

"How many times did I tell you to stop smoking, Alex?" I announced my presence to him.

Alex's spine shot straight up in his seat, and then he quickly snuffed out the cigarette. "Sorry, Aunty. I know it is a nasty habit, but it's the only one I've got." He waved his hand about, trying to dissipate the smoke that wafted over his head.

"Your mother's not going to approve..."

"I know. I know. How's she doing?" He asked, taking a sip of coffee from his mug.

I sat down on the bench opposite of him and said, "She's holding on as usual. But it's slowly getting to her the closer we get to our goal."

"Is that why we're here?" Alex ran his hand through his golden locks.

I nodded and rummaged through my bag, handing Alex the last envelope I needed him to pass on to the councilor. He quickly took it and muttered a few words that made the envelope disappear in a plume of smoke. I glanced around the diner. Luckily, nobody gave us a minute of their day.

"It's the last of the evidence. Hopefully, Vance will keep up his end of the bargain," I said with a defeated tone laced in my words.

I was tired of all the crap I had to deal with. Living a double life, placing innocent people's lives in danger, and licking the asses of those I wanted to stab to death. Alex didn't need to place his life in danger, but he did it for his mother. He loved her as much as I loved her. I couldn't wait to hug her...

"Aunt, are you alright?" Alex's eyes softened with concern.

I waved him off with a smile. "Of course. Just looking forward to having your mother back and in—"

"In your arms?" Alex replied with a mischievous grin. If I had a drink in my hand, I would have dropped it.

"No! Nothing like that!" I quickly tried to dodge the bullet Alex shot my way. "I miss having her in person. It's not the same talking to her in a mirror."

"Yeah right. I know you love my mother more than just sister-in-laws." A twinkle of delight sparked in his eyes.

I scoffed and said, glancing out of the dirty window to avoid Alex's gaze. "You're being ridiculous, young man."