Chapter 7: Old Friends. [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

After standing around for a while, a commotion from the backroom caught my and my mom's attention. A skinny woman, wearing a flowery curtain as a dress, strode into the room. More rings that I could accurately count adorned her spindly fingers. Before her sky-blue eyes could graze my face, my mom let out a squeal.

"Selena? Is that you girl?" My mom threw her hands into the air and ran up to the redhead.

"Victoria! What a small world. You look gorgeous!"

My mom and the Supreme hugged tightly. An old friendship lit up in an instant. What a small world indeed. I glanced over at Joshua. He was smirking like an idiot who broke his mother's stash of happy pills. Why was he happy? I had no idea. But luckily, the plan of getting a meeting set up with the Alpha seemed like a done deal. Funny how things worked themselves out.

My mom and the Supreme drew away from their hug before my mom introduced me to her.

"Selena, this is my son, Nathan, and the pretty sleeping angel is my daughter, Lilly." At that, my little sister readjusted her head, burying her head inside of my neck. She hugged me tighter.

I moved in and shook her hand. "Nice to meet you."

She eye-raped me for a second, making my skin crawl before she said, "So this is the hybrid I've heard about."

At that moment, I wanted to kick down the front door of the shop and run for the hills. Fuck! She knows! This isn't good. I could feel Fenrus making my muscles tense. The tips of my fingers began to itch as my claws began to grow. I was ready to slash her throat before she could move a finger.

My mom's voice became harsh. "Selena?"

The woman's eyes fell on my claws. Instead of reacting to the threat, she laughed and touched my hands and squeezed them gently.

"Don't worry, young one. I'm not your enemy. You saved my son from the Hunters and I'll be forever in your debt." She rubbed my sister's back before she walked over to the counter.

I slowly retracted my claws as my shoulders eased.

"Even if you hadn't saved my son's life, I would have helped you. I have no intentions of betraying my best friend's trust." The Supreme rubbed my mom's shoulder. "There are rumors drifting along that your grandfather has completely lost his grip on reality, so I have no intention of aligning myself with such a madman."

"I heard that he hired the Shadowstalkers to hunt down the coven members who dared to leave his coven," Joshua injected his bit of information. "Dozens of warlocks and witches have disappeared without a trace."

"OK, Josh. That is enough of that. The depraved machinations of a madman don't deserve the time on our lips." She clapped her hands together. "Now, Victoria, if you will accompany me. Let's catch up while my boy entertains yours."

Ugh! I came here to find out why my mom is desperately seeking the ears of the Alpha, not to make friends.

Before I could ask my mom if I could join them, she said, "Nat, stay here. I'll be back shortly."

"Since when do we keep secrets?" I scowled at her.

My mom gave me her 'don't be an ass' look. "Not now." She turned around and followed the Supreme into the backroom.

I let out a low growl that made Joshua yelp out in fright.

"Nat, don't take that tone with me." Her voice echoed from the backroom.