44 Empty Empty Life

Life was silent. Lonely, without Dawn. Grayson lived with very little hope in life. No hunger, no joy, no boredom, no light, no happiness, no emotion.

He was a walking corpse. He felt his heart drain with hers. He recycled the memories of her laugh, her lips, her body, each individual freckle, stretch mark and hair. He loved it all. He loved all of her and he will never forget. His wolf was still here, still holding on in the loneliness. There was only darkness in his life now, only shadows, only the deepest blacks and the dullest greys filled his eyesight. There was no colour in life without her. No life left living. The bond played tricks in his mind, sometimes there was a tug, the faintest tug, he couldn't be sure if it was the trickery or the pain. But his deception and his denial kept him from pulling that trigger.

The war had been long over, the vampires retreated as soon as the death of their queen, Jacobs birthday was in 2 weeks. Dawn will never experience it. His Dawn, his love. There could be nobody else, nothing else that could close off this hole that she left in his heart, in his body, in this mind.

He cradled a whisky for what felt like years after she had gone, years trapped within the torture of his own mind, the days fell into cycles, get up, look for Dawn, realize she dead, feel the pain of losing her over again, get drunk, pass out.

Looking up, he realised Franky, his best friend, his only childhood friend had burst into the room, his body language would normally etch panic into Grayson's blood, but now, he only took another sip of whisky, peering at his only friend over the glass.

But then he said those words. The words that ignited a deep, deep spark within him, the words that brought the world spinning on its axis. Flipping his upside-down world back up. Franky, stood up tall. "Dawns alive."