Chapter 14

Rose's POV
I woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, that strange man who had been watching me had appeared in my dream again and all of a sudden, Alex was there too. Laughing and screaming that he finally had me. It was so frightening that I gasped.
''It was just a stupid dream. It's not real," I tried to calm myself down, which worked after a while.

''I quickly got up and went to the bathroom to splash my face with cold water, then I looked at myself in the mirror while the cold water dripped down from my chin.
My amber eyes were darker, my dark circles deep. My face was as pale as the wall... Shivering, I brushed over the scar on my back.
''Maybe that's why I had terrible dreams. The doctor's visit certainly didn't do me any good,''
But I would have to go there again.

Sighing, I walked back to my room and laid down carefully; it hurt briefly until I found a perfect position.
''Why does a scar that has been there for 8 years hurt so much," I asked myself. Is this even normal?
I turned off my light and was about to close my eyes, but when a beam of light went off and on again and again, in front of my balcony, I became suspicious, "Is someone shining a light on my balcony?"

Confused, I got up and went to my balcony; the light went out when I opened my balcony door and stepped out.
What was that? I approached the railing and leaned down a bit, and just as I looked down, someone shone on my face. Shocked, I had to close my eyes because it hurt to look into the bright light. I quickly turned my face and blinked a few times until I could see something again. Searching, I looked around and then realized that someone was in the garden. Only I couldn't tell at all if it was a woman or a man; it was far too dark.

My grip on the compound tightened. I wanted to scream or at least shout so that someone could see what I saw. But my voice was gone. Again I tried to call for someone, but only a low sound came out. One last time this someone shone a lamp in my face and then ran away.
And I must say that he was swift. I clumsily wanted to go back to my room to call Mister Howards, but I was quickly stopped in my tracks.

"Was there a secret admirer, Rosie?" I heard Tyler say loudly.
Astonished, I looked over at the window in front of me. Tyler? Why is he awake? .... Never mind, he saw it too. I didn't imagine it!
I still couldn't speak, so I just shook my head in fear.
"Why don't you talk to me?" he leaned a little forward out of his window. His hair was all tousled, and he was wearing baggy clothes that looked pretty comfortable.
Even though I was still mad at him, I wanted to answer him on such a serious matter. So I quickly went back to the compound and frantically tried to find my voice again, ''I have no idea who that was," I said softly.

"I didn't hear you. You have to speak louder," Tyler turned on the light in his room so that I could see him better, ''You really manage to keep me awake," he said, tilting his head a little.
He starts like this again? Well, I don't have time for that. I have to call Mister Howards!
Rolling my eyes, I turned around, ''Wait, Rosie! You know it's still my birthday? I have a wish," he shouted.
I didn't turn around but stopped in amazement, ''My wish is that... you, please stop ignoring me... and finally trust me," his voice was so soft and gave me goosebumps with a slight gust of wind, but ... I didn't trust him.
''Those were two wishes," I just mumbled.
His look flashed before me again as he kissed Ashley and stared at me so teasingly.

Trust? Sighing, I went inside my room and looked for my phone. Thankfully, I saved mister Howard's number. So I dialed, and it started ringing.
It didn't take long before he picked up, ''Howard's speaking. Who am I talking to?"
"H-Hey, it's Rose," I stammered.
''Rose! I haven't heard from you in a while. How are you?" At first, he was shocked, probably because I stuttered, but then he calmly asked how I was, and his voice was so soothing, which really helped me get rid of my stutter.
''I'm actually doing quite well. But there was someone in my garden ... First, a light appeared in front of my balcony, and when I went out to see what it was, someone shone the light twice on my face, and the person ran away. It was terrifying," I said, realizing now that I was shaking.