Chapter 22

Rose's POV
I was lying with my belly on this mattress in the hospital. Was the bed soft? Was the bed linen silky? I had no idea because I couldn't feel anything but this emptiness ... This pain inside me. My father and stepmother were still here, holding my hand and talking at me. They were trying to distract me. I wanted to give them my smile. To show them that I was okay, even though I wasn't at all.

I was not well at all. I felt terrible. I was just ... disgusted with myself... of my horrible body... of my life.

My father leaned over and placed a kiss on my cheek, "You are my strong girl; everything is going to be okay. And I will try to persuade the doctor; maybe Sammy will be allowed to visit you," he said. Although his words didn't really get through to me, I nodded, ''The police will also come tomorrow. But if you don't want to talk, then I'll tell Tom to give you more time."

"N-No, it's okay, dad. I'll talk to him," I stuttered again.
Oh ... How I hated my stuttering, but, well ... I just hated myself right now anyway.
"Did they catch that guy?" Dean asked quietly.
"Yes, and he will never do anything again. The man is dead," Mika replied.
"Wait? What man?"
''The one who kidnapped you, he was lying dead on the ground. The police now want to know what happened. Because they think it could be suicide."

''WAIT?! The guy still hasn't been caught?" I heard Dean draw in his breath sharply.
"The man is dead, isn't he?" repeated Mika, who was now looking at him.
''No, that was not the man. He only dragged us there. There was ANOTHER man!" Dean shouted, which made me wince.
I started shaking all over. Tim is still free. What if he comes back?
Oh my god. The cold crept up inside me. Immediately my father put his arm around me protectively.

''Who was there?" Mika asked, shocked.
''No, no, no," my eyes filled with tears. I tried to support myself.
''Rose, stay calm. Everything will be fine," my father tried to make me calm.
''N-N-No. Two days have already passed. H-He must have left, or maybe he already has a new plan. Oh, my God. He's going to get me again," I desperately held my chest. All the scars started to throb.

''Who was there?" Mika panicked and came to me to hold me.
''Stop! Let's not talk about it now, please! Rose, everything will be fine. I'll call Mister Howards right now and make sure no one hurts you. I promise," my father looked at me seriously.

Nodding, I tried to calm down, but I couldn't. My heart was beating wildly, the same as my breathing became faster. Then, the equipment started beeping loudly. A nurse came running in and asked my parents to leave. She injected me with something to calm me. Probably something like a sleeping pill. Because it worked quickly, reluctantly, my eyes closed, and I fell into the land of dreams.

At some point, I woke up again. This time I was lying on my back. My skin was tingling, and my scars were throbbing badly. Hissing, I breathed in and out. Everything hurt, but I wouldn't say that. The painkillers didn't help me, and I don't want to be pumped full of drugs that don't do any good. Then I slowly opened my eyes. My parents were no longer there; the room was dark.

When I looked at a table next to me, a small digital clock showed me 1:30am. Sighing, I looked at the ceiling of the room. There was a little color play of red, thin green lines, and flashing dots through the devices that were closed on me. Which put me into a kind of trance. The strangest thoughts came to my mind. But the most important question was.

How would it go on with me?

I heard noises in the room, which made me wince again and again. Because I was afraid. Big fear. What if Tim is here? What if he suddenly appears? But ... why should I be afraid at all? I mean ... why should I even be scared of him getting me? He always did. I had never been safe. Besides, my body has become a pure eyesore. I don't even want to see myself. So weak... weak was my body, broken and destroyed. I always was. Why was I given life in the first place? Before my thoughts could go any deeper, I was pulled from them by a soft sob.