Chapter 33

Rose's POV
My father? He wants to hurt my father? My heart was racing; I was getting dizzy. Just the thought of something happening to my father was killing me.

I could feel my throat tightening. What was I supposed to do? I don't know what to do... Slowly, I approached the Veranda.

I can't go in now; If I go in, they'll sense something is wrong, so I sat down on a step and held my chest.

If my father dies, then I can't live.
If my father.
Jesus.

I had to calm myself down. My breathing became rapid; I was about to hyperventilate. I tried my best to calm down, but it didn't work. As fast as I could, I ran inside the house and to my room.

I couldn't stay outside. Behind my bed, I made myself small. I pulled my legs in close and rested my head on my knees, just like I used to do.

Images of my dead friend Lina came to my mind, and then I imagined my father. Then, finally, the tears I had been trying to hold back came out.

I can't tell anyone... but what if it's just a trick? What if he's saying this specifically to lure me out? If I take this risk, what will happen?

He can't do that. He already had enough people on his conscience, maybe even people we don't even know about yet.

"Rose."
Jin's voice brought me out of my thoughts; I lifted my head. He knelt down in front of me and looked at me with a smile.
"Isn't it uncomfortable to sit like this?" he inquired lovingly.

I looked around; only the two of us were in the room... I felt a little safer now.
''I saw you running upstairs. And I got worried."

I wanted to say something, but I was too shocked. My voice was gone; I even started to shake. Images got into my head that I never wanted to see. My family lying dead on the floor.

Jin put his hand on my shoulder.
"Rose, what's wrong?"

I shook my head anxiously.
"Can't you tell me?"

His look became serious, "We are alone, no one is here but you and me," he tried to reassure me, "You know you can tell me anything."

I trusted him too, but I was so scared... I clenched my hand into a fist and the letter crumpled. Jin heard the sound and looked at my hand.

''What do you have there?" he asked.
I noticed that his look became more serious.

He raised his hand and reached for mine. I was still shaking my head. But he kept murmuring that everything was fine. When he pulled it out of my hand, he reached for the letter from Dean.

He read through it and looked at me confused.

"Who is Dean?"
"Did he do something to you?"
I still couldn't answer, but I stood up shakily.

The other letter fell out of my hand as I did so. Jin picked it up, but I tried to take it from him. I shook my head to make him understand not to read it, but he was stubborn.

''P...l...e...a...s...e," I forcefully pressed out.
My throat was so tight with fear that I just couldn't do anything else; I couldn't speak.

Jin looked at me in shock, "What's wrong?" He quickly turned his back to me; I couldn't stop it. My arms sank, and I leaned my face against his back.

I started to cry again.
It took a while, but then he turned to me. My face was on his chest; he quickly lifted my head and looked me in the eyes.

''Rose," he started, ''Oh God, Rose. That bastard scared you so much that you can't even speak," his eyes were full of pain, "This can't be happening. It can't be like this; we have to go to the police."