Chapter 26

The first night in my room was really lovely. It was just wonderful to be home again. Mika slept with me for the first time; she chased Dean and Noah away. She also tried to build up our mother-daughter relationship.

But she couldn't make the nightmares go away. That's why I was lying awake in my bed all the time. Either way, it was still lovely. Everything is better than lying sharp in the hospital. 

The morning dawned, Mika slowly woke up, 'Good morning," she murmured in a raspy voice.
I nodded with a smile.

"When did you wake up?" she asked, rolling a little closer to me.
''About five minutes ago," I lied.
"Did I wake you up with my snoring?" she joked.
''No, don't worry," while laughing, I sat up.
Mika joined in the laughter, but quickly her laughter was silenced.

''Oh my god," I heard her mumble.
I looked at her questioningly, following her shocked gaze, and noticed that she kept looking from my back to my bed linen. I couldn't see my back, but I could see the blood on my sheets. Mika grabbed my sweater and pulled it up a bit.

"Oh... that must have hurt," her face contorted.
''I just feel a slight tugging, that's all," I tried to reassure her.
''Your wound is at the bottom of your back; it still looks fresh, it's bleeding. Let's quickly clean it and bandage it."

Of course, this scar has always caused me problems up to now. When I got up, I felt a little dizzy, but I didn't say anything and followed her to the bathroom, there she cleaned my wound and brought me a new sweater. Before I put on my clothes, she tied a bandage around me.

''Now I'm going to change your bed linen".
''Wait, I'll help you," I tried to object.
"No, no. You mustn't move too much; we don't want any more wounds to open up."
Pouting, I looked at her.

''You can go to the kitchen; Noah and Jin should be preparing breakfast," she suggested when she saw my disappointed face.
''I'd be happy to. But what about Dean?"
''He is not a morning person. And since he always has trouble sleeping, we have to let him sleep in."

"He still can't sleep well?" that worried me a lot. After all, I'm like that right now too, but I had hoped that Dean made a little more progress.
''Yes, but it's slowly coming back."
She smiled proudly, ''After all, you've slowly gained back your strength."
A bad feeling crept up in me. I tried to smile, but I think it was more of a shrug, "I... I'll go help Noah and Jin."

"I know you haven't been sleeping, Rose. I'm not stupid. But I'm sure you're slowly coming to terms with everything again," she smiled at me lovingly.
Tears almost escaped my eyes, but I blinked them away.
"I hope so. I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth."
''Oh, nonsense. But you shouldn't always worry so much about us. We want you to get well again. So you should tell us if something is wrong."

''I will try,"
''Okay, good. Well, go and see the two cooking professionals."
"Cooking professionals?"
"You'll see," she giggled, walking towards my bed and tampering with my covers.

I, meanwhile, went down the stairs to the hallway, but when I arrived at the floor where Jin's room was, I risked a gaze. Dean was snuggled up with a teddy bear, fast asleep. 

Relived, I let him sleep on and made my way down to the kitchen. There you could hear Noah pouting and Jin cursing.

"You idiot. That's too much salt!"
"I only gave it a pinch."
''That was almost a tablespoon," Jin hissed.
''I'm so sorry. But it does taste good anyway."
''Yeah, you're lucky."

I stayed hidden a little longer because the two of them were just too cute.
''Oh, is this portion for Rose?" Noah's voice became unusually high.
''You little rascal, you," he added.
Then I just heard a slap.
''Ouch! Why did you hit me with the wooden spoon now?" the crying voice of Noah could now be heard.
''What rascal? Rose needs to get her strength back; that's why," Jin justified himself.